After WinXP install, DVD-RW drive w/not recognize blank DVD-treats it like a CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I want to say hello as this is my first post.

I've recently reinstalled Windows XP and Office 2007 along with ALL the updates and SP2. I have two DVDRW drives and both are set to cable select (jumpers) and both reside on the same controller cable. Both drives worked ok before I reinstalled Windows XP. In "My Computer" window both drives are identified as DVD/CD-RW drives until a blank DVD R is inserted, then the description changes to "CD Drive".

Do I need a codex or something for windows to properly recognize these drives? When I use Nero 7, both drives work perfectly. Thanks.

I installed the new ASPI driver but it had no effect on this problem. I ran Nero 7 Info Tool and it reports that:

ASPI Information
----------------
System ASPI : ASPI installation is corrupted

WNASPI32.DLL : 4.71 (0002) 45056 bytes July 17, 2002
ASPI32.SYS : 4.71 (0002) built by: WinDDK 16512 bytes July 17, 2002

Nero ASPI : ASPI is installed and working properly

wnaspi32.dll : 2.0.1.74 164112 bytes September 25, 2005

The version and file sizes listed here agree with the Adaptec tool when I ran that. I also installed the previous ASPI version, but no joy. I reinstalled the latest version again now.

Topic 44930 is exactly the problem I am experiencing here. Since Nero allows me to record DVDs, I'm just going to live with the WindowsXP problem for now. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back