After XP repair, windows boots to blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I was changing the registry to try and fix a problem with my USB flash drive when I somehow screwed up xp such that it wouldn't boot normally (even in safe mode). So I then put in my XP install CD and ran system repair. After repair finished it booted XP, however, right after the XP boot screen I get the blue screen of death. Everytime, and in Safe mode I get "setup cannot continue/finish in safe mode". I've tried running repair again but I get the same error. I have also tried running CHKDSK /R from the recovery console.
If it helps, the computer had Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, the setup CD incudes win. XP Pro with service pack 1.
Thank You!

The problem doing it that way you'll loose stuff and now your system is hosed.

When you install a new copy of XP Pro SP2
Delete OS
Format HDD
Install OS

You could save the HDD, and get another HDD to put the OS back on. The one that is hosed you could recover the data by using it as a Slave drive or USB with adapter case for HDDs. Cheaper to use it as slave drive. But you do that after everything is working again. Where the CD/DVD is on your system is where you would connect the hosed OS to...

Don't for get to do the DST before March 11 2007

Hi, I'm really sorry, but I don't understand your response at all. I'm just trying to fix my current install, not completely re-install windows. Although I can, if I have to, this system does have two hard drives on it (3 partitions all together). Also, what does daylight savings time have to do with my situation?

Thanks,
Kip

welcome to TechSpot kip2001 :)

I'm not sure if it's possible to fix your current install (especially after the repair failed), but repair installations are not always stable anyways. a full format & clean installation is always the best way to go.

I would strongly suggest that you give XP it's own partition (unless you can dedicate an entire drive to it). this way you can format and reinstall XP as many times as you want without losing your other data.

good luck :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back