AGP 4X and 8X voltage differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a emachines t2080 that comes with an AGP 2.0 (read 4X) slot. My reading thus far has indicated that the 2.0 slot has two possible voltages, 3.3v and 1.5v. I've got an 8x ATI 9600 Pro card, and before installing it, I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry something. While the 8X cards still use 1.5v, they still have a .8v signal swing--so they'd work if the 2.0 slot provides 1.5 volts.

What I can't figure out is if every 2.0 slot supports both voltages and feeds whichever is required, or if there are two flavors of slots, one that only works with 3.3v cards and the other that only works with 1.5v. Several other posts here about 4X vs 8X have made it seem that the only material difference is speed and that that difference in negligible at 'sane' resolutions--is that true?

Any AGP 2.0 slot will run an 8X card at 4X without electrical issues?

Yes you're ok to run the 9600Pro AGPX8 mode 2.0 (1.5Volt) in your AGP 2.0 X4 slot (also 1.5V). What you don't want to do is run a AGP mode 1.0 card (3.3V) in a AGP mode 3.0 slot! But mode 1.0 are sooooo old now chances of finding a vid card AGPX2 mode 1.0 (Rage2 for example) is very unlikely.
The 9600Pro is compatible with AGP 3.0 as well, as you said it can swing to 0.8V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back