AGP-4X in a AGP-2X slot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chembrouk

AGP question

Is it possible to use a AGP x4 card in a mobo that only has a x2 AGP slot, what effects does it have on the card if it works??

Will the switch from 4x to 2x be automatic or is it a jumper setting on either the mobo or 3d card, a bios setting. The card I intend to get is a Geforce 2 ultra or Geforce 3.

The its not so much a switch, rather than it is just forced to run at that. The BIOS controls 1x,2x,4x not the card. The card is just 4x capable. So you will be fine putting the gf3 in that.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
The its not so much a switch, rather than it is just forced to run at that. The BIOS controls 1x,2x,4x not the card. The card is just 4x capable. So you will be fine putting the gf3 in that.

I've seen some cards with a 'turbo' jumper on them that is supposed to switch between 2x and 4x. But I don't think it matters if you have 4x turned off in BIOS.

Dont worry to much about the 2x-4x. 4X has been proven to be unstable in some games. Your better off running 2x. You'll be forced to avoid some problems!

the card will run at 2x and maybe u'll se a perfoarmance increase!! :):):) cuz it's not working at it's max rate

1. yes you can run it (but only in 2X, naturally) and normally you do not need to deal with any jumpers or such stuff
2. there will be little performance difference in the vast majority of apps and games (it is the older chipset that may actually keep you vidcard back rather than AGP 2X)

Re: AGP question

My motherboard supports AGP 2x, When I tried to install a AGP 4x vedio card I got error message "This device cannot find any free input/output range (I/O) resources to use (code 12). If you want to use this device, you must disable another device that is using the resources this device needs.
I can find no conflicts in device manager. I removed sound card no help also eithernet card no help amd an old dial-up modem card no help.

Old video was Geforce2 pro with 64 ddr
New card is a Geforce 5200fx with 256 ddr

Any ideas on what the conflict might be?

Re: Re: AGP question

Originally posted by cowlin
I can find no conflicts in device manager. I removed sound card no help also eithernet card no help amd an old dial-up modem card no help.

Old video was Geforce2 pro with 64 ddr
New card is a Geforce 5200fx with 256 ddr

Any ideas on what the conflict might be?

This is not necessarilly a problem with your Windows configuration but rather the BIOS itself. A lot of BIOSes allow you to select which IRQs are available for PnP or which ones you would like to configure yourself.

Take a look in your BIOS and see if you see anything to that effect. I won't be able to tell you exactly where to look because i don't know which kind of BIOS your motherboard has.

Hope that helps. ;)

Re: Re: Re: AGP question

I checked Bios these are what I found that might do with video.

VGA Boot From ...................AGP
PCI/VGA Pallet Snoop..........Disabled
Assign IRQ for VGA..............Enabled
Concurent PCI/Host............Disabled
AGP Aperture size...............128m
VGA......................................On

IRQ 3..................(com2)...............Primary
IRQ 4..................(com1)...............Primary
IRQ 5..................(LPT2)................Primary
IRQ 6..................(Floppy Disk)......Primary
IRQ 7..................(LPT1)................Primary
IRQ 8..................(RTC Alarm)........Disabled
IRQ 9..................(IRQ 2 Redir)......Secondary
IRQ 10................(Reserved).........Secondary
IRQ 11................(Reserved).........Secondary
IRQ 12................(PS/2 Mouse).....Primary
IRQ 13................(Coprocessor)....Disabled
IRQ 14................(Hard Disk).........Primary
IRQ 15................(Reserved).........Disabled

rick, just asking, did you edit my post like that?

"---agissi--- DONT WORRY ITZ FINE IN A 2X SLOT "

I 1) wouldnt rite in all caps
2) would have "ITZ"
3) dont recall writing it like that esp. with all the smilies :\

Re: Re: AGP question

Guess I have a memory conflict not a hardware conflict.
Video uses memory locations

D0000000 - DFFFFFFF
F0000000 - F0FFFFFF

VIA tech CPU to AGP controller Uses

000A0000 - 000BFFFF
D8000000 - E7FFFFFF
E8000000 - EFFFFFFF
F0000000 - F1FFFFFF

Any way to change any of these?

Re: Re: Re: AGP question

Originally posted by cowlin
Guess I have a memory conflict not a hardware conflict.
Video uses memory locations

D0000000 - DFFFFFFF
F0000000 - F0FFFFFF

VIA tech CPU to AGP controller Uses

000A0000 - 000BFFFF
D8000000 - E7FFFFFF
E8000000 - EFFFFFFF
F0000000 - F1FFFFFF

Any way to change any of these?
No, they're supposed to use the same memory locations, as it is an AGP card - AGP controller needs that too. Same thing if you had a PCI video card.

You should also have shared memory with your card, AGP controller and PCI bus in A0000-BFFFF, which is the standard VGA memory area.

I see your BIOS has an option "VGA: on", does that mean you have also an onboard graphics chip? If you do, try disabling it.

hmm, i need help now, im running a radeon 9200se 64mb 8x in a 4x motherboard, if i buy a new mobo will there be any performance increasr? ie, a mobo with the nforce 2 chip and 8x agp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back