AGP card being read as PCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-thru-Z

Hi,
I have a 6600GT AGP card but when I check my graphics card properties it is read as PCI?
my specs are..
INTEL PENTIUM 4 560 3.6GHZ 800mhz FSB/HTT/1MB
2048 MB DDR400 PC3200 (2x1GB)
ASUS P5P800: DUAL DDR, S-ATA, 8X AGP, 5 PCI, ATA133 ETC
SATA 250 GB HARD DISK @ 7200rpm 16mb cache
256MB GEFORCE 6600 8X AGP + DVI + TV-OUT
SoundBlaster Audigy 4 7.1 Pro + External Kit (breakout box)
EZcool 'super silent' switching mode PSU ATX 550w JSP (socket 775)

I've done a bit of reading and I've updated my bios and my chipset but still no joy.
I've made sure that my bios reads AGP/PCI
I've disabled plug and play and turned off 'IRQ to PCI vga'
The only thing that has changed is that my graphics card information now says my bus is PCI express x16 when it said x4 before?
I'm not that up on bios setting and allocating IRQs (which all seem to be allocated to PCI in my bios)
How do I change my bus settings to AGP for my AGP card?

Do you have nvidia settings in your quick items? If you do, open it up and on the
main tab, check what it says. Also, is the card actually not working because of this, or is it just something that's annoying you? I'm guessing the card is working...

where are you reading these properties from anyways??

you should not be able to see anything as PCI express x16 or x4 because that board only has AGP and PCI, not PCI-express of any kind.

like paranoid guy said, if your video card works than why are you worried??

download everest and see what that says about your graphics card and interface.

If the card is working, I do not think there is any reason to do anything about it.

Regards,

Korrupt

Hi again paranoid guy ;)
I cant see a 'main' tab in my quick launch?
If I go to display properties/advanced/Geforce I get under 'graphics card information'..
Processor:GeForce Go 6600GT
Video bios version:5.43.02.61
IRQ:16
Bus: PCI express x16
Memory: 256MB

ForceWare version: 91.31
TV Encoder type: NVIDIA Intergrated

under my adapter tab/Geforce properties I get..
Adapter information
Device type: display adapters
manufacturer: NVIDIA

You might remember from my exhaustive post about my PSU possibly crashing games...well I should get that new one on Monday (taking its time) but I was reading about this AGP/PCI problem as a possibility of crashing games also and I realised that my bus is PCI yet my card is AGP..might be another cause of my crashing problem?

just did a rollback to yesterday before I updated my chipset, returned the bios setting to what they were and the only change is the bus information...its gone back down from PCI express x16 to x4 again...what the hell is going on?
It seems that my mobo thinks my AGP card is in a PCI slot?? I've read a few posts about this but the only solution people have come up with is updating your chipset...I did that and it didn't help?
I'd leave it but my PC crashes when playing a game and this seems to be one of the problems that could cause it?
Do you think running an AGP card like this could cause it?
I'm getting my thermaltake PSU on monday and see if that stops the game crashing but this is kind of weird dont you think?

Download CPU-Z and look at it's 2nd or 3rd tab. This will describe if AGP is working correctly.

You can't trust the Device manager as NVidia Forceware drivers usually mount by dev id, and most 6600GT's are PCI-Express (as listed) NOT PCI. So this is likely simply the Forceware drivers figuring it's a PCI-Express model.

The windows hardware path is also normal for AGP devices.

CPU-Z will determine agp and speed/fast writes if these are enabled.

You may also wish to re-install as you've been mucking around in the Device manager removing/changing very critical system devices. You do NOT want to be removing/playing with CPU to PCI bridge or host drivers.

I had the same problem with Forceware 91.31. At every boot, Nivdia would tell me that SLI isn't enabled because I have only one card, even though I have an AGP card lol. So I uninstalled the drivers, used Driver Cleaner to do a proper cleanup, and reinstalled. Only problem since is the Nvidia icon doesn't go from the taskbar. The new drivers seem a bit buggy, especially for 6600GT AGP cards.

yeah, I already ran cpu-z and it does say AGP version 3 on the graphic interface.
I haven't messed with device manager...I just updated my chipset and changed 2 things in bios, which I changed back.
Thanks for everyone's help but I guess it is just nvidia and another flakey forceware version? May just go back to an earlier version and see what happens.
so forceware reading my card as a pci wouldn't be causing the crashes then? I have read a few posts of this being the case.
if not then its back my original idea of the psu.

problems with Nvidia and SLI.

There forums on NVIDIA site about all these Unsolved problems with their crashes, drivers, Bios updates etc....

I think this is down to the NVIDIA Chipsets, I believe they Use chips with advanced features on all their cards including the lower spec ones that dont actually use the capability of the chips.

So it appears that the Drivers enables advanced features on the chips but but the feature is not actually supported by the card.

Example, Aztec used to make a Sound card and a Modem that used a chip common to both, so when you installed the drivers for the sound card, an unknown comunications device would show up in device manager

There was also a modem with no sound output but windows audio properties would give you the option to map sound through the device.

So if you've got an AGP graphics Card with SLI capable chip on it, the NVIDIA drivers might make it show up as a PCI Device and give the message that SLI is disabled. Only Nvidia can solve this one

well you never mentioned at first that there were any errors/crashes associated with it.

have you tried to uninstall the nvidia drivers, reboot and install the drivers from the CD that came with the card?

and instead of "changing" BIOS options, try clearing CMOS to set everything back to it's defualts. this would eliminate a possible setting changed by accident.

but hopefully your new PSU will fix the crashes.

good luck :)

yeah, considering Nvidia is originally a Buddhist word for knowing...it seems that the graphics card manufacturers dont know much!!
When it comes to finally upgrading my card I think I'll steer clear of Nvidia...I've really had nothing but problems with it and many many other have too.

Hi again Cody :grinthumb
I'm not actually sure that it is this AGP/PCI issue that is crashing my game...just a possibility, I just read about this issue and checked and my properties were saying bus=PCI
I'll see how my new PSU goes and come back to this if the PSU doesn't sort out my crashing issue.
Keep up the good work you all do on this forum for all us unfortunates that have these problems.

A-thru-Z said:
I haven't messed with device manager...I just updated my chipset and changed 2 things in bios, which I changed back
to uninstall the video drivers, you go into device manager and choose your video card under "display adapters", and click uninstall. then reboot and install the drivers from the CD that came with your video card.

and you should reset your BIOS to defualts or clear CMOS to make sure that the settings (especially the IRQ settings) are what they should be.

and you never said where you were reading these "properties" anyways. where does it says that it is pci-express?

I meant I didn't touch device manager at all....the bios settings are all back to how they were as I always write down every change I make and only do changes one at a time. I'll use driver cleaner pro and go back to the drivers off the CD....seems the 91 update is as flakey as the other releases...might as well go back to 52, they were ok :haha:
KingCody said:
and you never said where you were reading these "properties" anyways. where does it says that it is pci-express?

I wrote this in one of my posts above..
A-thru-Z said:
If I go to display properties/advanced/Geforce I get under 'graphics card information'..
Processor:GeForce Go 6600GT
Video bios version:5.43.02.61
IRQ:16
Bus: PCI express x16
Memory: 256MB

ForceWare version: 91.31
TV Encoder type: NVIDIA Intergrated

under my adapter tab/Geforce properties I get..
Adapter information
Device type: display adapters
manufacturer: NVIDIA

thats were other posts I read about the problem said to check and there it was?? Its an AGP card in PCI mode apparently.

No... Its an AGP card with hardware on in thats capable of working on a PCI express Card as well.

If you looked in device manager and changed the view to "devices by connection" you will probably see that most of your hardware is connected to the System controllers VIA the PCI BUS. so its not actually in pci mode.

its analgeous to a 64bit cpu running 32bit windows, you would still state your specs as a 64bit system.

its cheaper to make just one type of chip than it is to make two different ones so they just use the same chip for both technologies.

A-thru-Z said:
thats were other posts I read about the problem said to check and there it was?? Its an AGP card in PCI mode apparently.
That's how AGP cards show in the Device manager, so it's correct.

The confusing matter is simply how the latest Forceware drivers identify many AGP Geforce's as PCI-Express (which is not PCI.. actually a better interface than AGP). Even some AGP card owners are getting errors that SLI is disabled, which is silly since you can't even HAVE SLI with an AGP system hehe.

Overall though, if you're experiencing crash problems or other issues, you should consider starting a new thread with some dxdiag/full system info, cpu-z exported data, and specific information about what games/settings you're having troubles with. From there, we might be able to lend a hand determining what may be the real problem and/or cause.

Ok...so its nothing to be worried about?
I'd just read that people had had problems with games crashing because of this issue.
Probably my PSU then..I'll let you know how it pans out when I get my new PSU and extra fan (thats 8 now all in all) and I may finally be able to play MOH online without the card overheating and crashing after 5 mins :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back