AGP card problem -Monitor turns-off

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehacker

hi,
i m having a problem with my graphics card. its an AGP card of 128mb and 5200fx. Its of Geforce(nVidia). From last few days my monitor turns-off and when i move the mouse cursor monitor turns on for a second and turn off again. I have checked there is no problm with the softwares section (like power managment etc.).And even if i restart the system it doesnot turns on but case LEDs are glowing and CD leds are blinking for long. No beeps.
Day before yesterday when this happened i turned off the system and back on after 2-3hrs and it was ok. But yesterday it didnt turned oneven after 4-5 hrs. then i thought that agp might hv overheated so i switched on the AC for 2 hrs and got temp down to aroung 24 C but even then it didnt started. then i removed the agp card and ran my system on integrated VGA and it worked fine. and today right now i just put the agp card back and its working again. i m writing this thread on agp running.
Whats the problem??
Please help.
thanks in advance.

From what you are telling us, the conclusion has to be that the AGP card has given up. Either that or the contact blade was dirty and you have cleaned it by taking it out and putting it back again.
If it stops again, replace the AGP card.

Yes you have to clean out the case monthly and make sure you have the a air-intake FAN 80mm and one or two air-outake fans 92mm or 120mm on your case. I have those cards you mention they do run HOT but if you keep the case cool and don't block the vents on the case then you'll be okay. Get a can of dust remover and turn off everything and take the PC outside or in and blast the dust out.

i have the same problem with my geforce Fx5200. but my monitor turn off if i click on any thing and turns back on again. Also words are messed up with microsoft beign spelled as microsobft......
Is the graphic card dead??? Is it possible to repair graphic cards????????

no repair of that graphics card, if it could be repaired it would cost more than it is worth unless all u use it for is surfing the web. and no the way u spelled microsoft there does not mean the video card is dead, but the computer has other problems and someone could takes months to figure that one out, besides spell check is not working.

@ tipstir
I already have 2 intake and 1 outake fans in my case. But my card doesnt have any fan, it has its heat sink onle and no fan. i checked the card manufacturer's website and got to know that there are no fans in 5200fx series.

You can improve the airflow inside the case by using cable ties to bundle power cables and ribbon cables to one side. Also, think about airflow through the case - your PSU is sucking air out so you should make sure you don't have other fans also sucking out as there may not be enough ways to get the air in. Turn a fan round so that it blows inwards?
did cleaning the AGP card blade help?

@alberlionheart
i havnt cleaned the agp yet. from today morning its working fine. so i will clean it next time when it will create problem. :D
thanks to all for replies

thehacker said:
@ tipstir
I already have 2 intake and 1 outake fans in my case. But my card doesnt have any fan, it has its heat sink onle and no fan. i checked the card manufacturer's website and got to know that there are no fans in 5200fx series.

Yes those cards and the MX4000 don't need fans... One thing you can do is make sure that AGP slot has nothing near the first PCI slot which is near the AGP slot or you can get one of those slot turbo fans and aim it near the AGP card, thus cooling the video card and any other card you have in the slots.

@nickc
But i tried using the onboard graphic and everything worked fine.Besides when i turn put in my FX 5200 even the spelling in BIOS setup r messed up like Frequency control being spelled as frebuency etc. How to find out if the AGP slot is workin fine???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back