AGP problems...maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwillis

I was having issues with my 6600gt making artifacts like crazy and crashing games, so after reinstalling every single driver I could think of I wondered if it was a heating issue or a PSU issue. The GPU temp never exceed 55 celsius, so that wasnt it, and a new 450W psu didnt help, so that wasnt it. I plugged in an FX5500 and the artifacting stopped, but it still crashed occasionally, even in Windows by itself, and the monitor quit responding. I came across this link

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

and determined that the artifacting looked exactly like the "BUS" picture, with the dot matrix all over. That led me to believe maybe my AGP slot was on the fritz. Also, since the 5500 works a lot better, but not perfectly, I was thinking maybe it had to do with AGP8x specifically (the 5500 runs on 4x, the 6600gt on 8x).

Is there anyway to verify whether or not my AGP slot is fully functional, before I go spend cash on the wrong thing?

Thanks for your thoughts.

WinXPHomeSP2
ASUS a8v deluxe, agp1x2x4x8x
6600gt/fx5500
Athlon64 3200+ 2.0ghz
450W PSU

Try running the DirectX diagnostic tests while setting AGP at 1x, 2x and 4x. See if there's any difference. Also, try running your 6600GT at AGP 4x or 2x to see if it still causes problems.

tipstir said:
Could be an issue with the card as you say the FX5500 doesn't have that problem.

It does have problems, just not the same. With the 6600 I get artifacts before I even boot windows, like during the startup checks. With the 5500 I still get blank screens and half blank screens, but very infrequently.

The DX tests were all problemless with the 5500 in 2x, 4x, 8x. I think it's probably the 6600GT thats got its undies bunched.

Thanks for your help!

If you're having artificating at low resolutions, there's an issue with the card. Also this question belongs in the audio/video forum.

Thanks! I needed some confirmation there... :)
At least I dont need a new mobo!

Sorry about posting in the wrong spot, I'll be more careful next time.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ah, so you were having trouble at lower resolutions too eh? Then the card's probably on the verge of death or already dead as we speak.

Did you try forceware drivers first from Nvidia? Did you do any coolbit OC on these cards. Once you go to far you can damage the GPU on them. Again the best bet from all of us here is to return the card..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back