AGP Query from a novice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to upgrade to a better graphics card. I have an AGP 4x slot in my PC. I know many cards are shown as being 8x/4x/2x etc and these will apparently work OK but what happens if I fit a card which is ONLY 8x?
Will it work? Will it work slowly? Will it work worse than a 4x or 8x/4x/2x? Or will it simply not work at all?
:suspiciou

I don't think there's such a thing as "Only 8x".

AGP 4/8x are completely backwards compatible with eachother. So as long as your computer is a few years old or newer, then it should work fine.

The speed ratings for 2/4/8x AGP are double each number. 2 is half the speed of 4. 4 is half the speed of 8.. etc.. But since most of the actual work is done locally on the card itself (not across the AGP bus), it really doesn't make any difference.

AFAIK the only AGP incompatibilities were with AGP 1X Cards which are no longer supported in AGP 8X motherboards and vice versa. It is all todo with the AGP Spec (the latest being 3.0) and I'm sure we have had a big thread on this before (but I couldn't find it).

As Rick said, you should be fine, it may operate Very slightly slower, but that will depend on the card you choose as well.

Many thanks guys,
I feel much more comfortable about buying a new card. I have not yet decided which one but at least I am now pretty certain that I have a wider range open to me than I first thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back