AGP slot broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zzattack

Hi.
One day my pc works fine, next day there's no more video output. Monitor doesn't receive any signal. I put my video card in another pc, hdd, RAM, all loose hardware in the pci slots (capture card, sound card, extra network card). They all work fine in my other box. In my working box, the fan on the video card starts but in the other box it doesn't.

If I turn on the pc without videocard in the AGP slot it looks like the pc just boots. HDD starts spinning, and I think windows just boots normally. Just without video signal.

My guess: the AGP slot (if that's what I put the videocard in) doesn't work anymore. I think that, if this is the case, it can be solved by getting a pci videocard (if they exist?), or getting a new motherboard. Or might there be an easier solution? How do I know for sure that the AGP slot causes problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for my English. Thanks in advance!

Might be the power supply, coz if the fan isn't starting, then the card is not receiving enough power. Have u recently added any components? Also, could u post ur complete specs?

Thanks for that enourmously quick response. I'll replace the PSU now and post back with more results. Thanks a lot!

Not the PSU

Using my 650W PSU didn't change anything.

The fan on the graphics card doesn't start until it's very hot. That means, I'm not sure anymore that the AGP slot is really broken. I'll try heating it up and placing it back in the other box quickly. Anyway, PSU can't be the problem. 650W is a lot I hear.

In any case, even a cheap 650W PSU would be able to power up the card properly. That does however, depend on what card it is. Newer ones are more power hungry. Older ones like the 9600 and 6600(non-GT) aren't.

The 650W is pretty good I think, cost me 54 EURO. Also on my main pc that same videocard does work perfectly.

Anyway, I removed this small round battery and all power cables for the night, and this morning I put it in again and the 3rd time I powered up I heard 1 beep (like the 3 for RAM failure) and I had video output, got the BIOS screen... but I had no mouse/keyboard plugged in :(
Now repeating that didn't give me that screen anymore back to where I was :(

Also I noticed that there's no difference when I unplug this squared 4 pins thing (from the psu) out of the mobo.

Any ideas?

Hmm. Something seems to have been screwed in the BIOS. There are certain viruses that can do this. This is likely because when u cleared the CMOS, it started normally(the beep indicates that the time and date have to be reset) but when u rebooted it, it was the same as before.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Hmm. Something seems to have been screwed in the BIOS. There are certain viruses that can do this. This is likely because when u cleared the CMOS, it started normally(the beep indicates that the time and date have to be reset) but when u rebooted it, it was the same as before.

Can that be fixed?

I'm not sure how to confirm this or how to remove a virus if there's one at all. Other ppl may be able to help u there. I'm not much of an expert at this so I can't really help u further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back