Agp slot not reponding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk910

I have a Dell 4600 with 3.0ghz P4 HT Cpu, With 768mb ram, and a 7800gs evga graphics card. When I turn on my desktop I get no signal from my video card and my moniter remains blank. Ive tried using 3 other moniters and i get the same issue. I notice when I turn on my computer the cpu and psu fans are both spinning and working fine however the fan on the video card isnt, so i tried plugging in annother video card without a fan (5200fx 128mb) but i still dont get a signal I think my agp slot may be broken. Any suggestions? I know it isnt my psu (500w).

Bios

Have you went into your Bios and checked to see if you can make sure the video adapter says AGP? Also try switching the power on the card, if the fan isnt turning thats bad, maybe burned up the card or the slot, however if there is a lot of dust in the fan, that could stop it from turning. Good luck!

Take your 7800 GS to a good pc shop and ask them to plug it into somthing. Most stores will. I take it your mobo has no integrated video? It does sound as if your slot may have gone bad. Well, it's a PCI-e world now anyway. I know that's not much, I know how it is when your pc goes down. There are a lot of good mobo/cpu bundles out now.Good Luck.

Ive been using this card for almost 6 months wsith no problemes until recently. And i wouldnt be able to use the bios due to the fact that the moniter wont display anything(no signal).

If you have an intergrated card, plug you monitor into that and it should bring up the monitor, if that dosn't work it could be your monitor......

I have tried at least 3 moniters i dont think thats the problem.

Also about 20 or so seconds after turning my computer on, I hear 2 short beeps. What could this mean?

Battery

Maybe you Cmos or back-up battery is dead, replace it, also those 2 beeps do mean something but you have to check with the Mobo manufacturer!

Does your computer sound like it boots into Windows? I mean does you hard drive run for the appropriate amount of time to boot into windows. After your machine "boots" can you push the power button in for a second and have your computer power down normally without turning off instantly or having to push and hold the power button down for 5 or 6 seconds to force the computer off. If it does boot into Windows and powers down normally then it's probably not your PSU.

If it doesn't boot or if it turns off instantly when you push the power button for a second then it could be your PSU or motherboard. I don't think you have an underpowered PSU, but it may be a broken PSU. Just to keep you from buying an older P4 board, I'd borrow your friends PSU for a few minutes and test it in your system.

If your computer does boot into Windows then it sounds like you are correct. I'd inspect the slot for debris, and as a last ditch effort I'd try clearing the CMOS and then test the motherboard with the 5200 in the slot.

dk910 said:
I am certain that windows boots, i actually hear the default windows startup sound. And I dont know what you mean by cleaning the CMOS can you enlighten me?

dk910 said:
I dont think my computer is starting up anymore. I hear 2 short beeps about 20 seconds or so after turning it on. What does this mean?

This means that your motherboard is probably broken and it needs to be replaced.

The CMOS is the chip on your motherboard that contains your BIOS. The BIOS is the Basic Input Output System. The BIOS controls your motherboard at a very low level until your operating system can take over the job.

If you open your case and look at your motherboard you'll see a large watch type battery sitting in a holder on the board. There should also be a set of three pins right next to the battery and two of the pins will be shorted with a jumper. To clear the CMOS you have to turn off or unplug the PSU, remove the battery from the holder and move the jumper from pins one and two to pins two and three. Let the computer sit for a few minutes and then replace the jumper back on pins one and two and put the battery back in the holder.

Cinders said:
This means that your motherboard is probably broken and it needs to be replaced.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion until you check to see what the beeps mean, if your battery is dead your cmos could have problems with boot-up. Check the manufacturer of your board to find out what the 2 beeps mean.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back