agp video card help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help, AGP 1.5v Graphics Cards

Socket 478 Intel Celeron 2.93GHz | 512mb DDR Memory
Soyo SY-P4VTE motherboard, Prescott Ready

it says in manual,

AGP cards running at 3.3v are not supported. Only AGP cards running
at 1.5v (most 4x or 8x AGP cards) are supported on this motherboard.

which best AGP 8x 1.5v cards would work without going over $100.00 ?

Look At Attached Picture

it should it is the best card for the price, believe me i spent hours looking for a good one, and i just bought it myself

Those all work on AGP 4x/1.5V, with the exception of the 5700LE which I haven't tried but also supports AGP 4x/AGP 2.0 (so it totally should work).

I'd say, for the most part, ignore the manual blurb since it's useless information these days unless you're planning on Ebaying some very, VERY old and used AGP 1.0/3.3v cards. Most cards today that support AGP 4x will work at 1.5v, but limited to AGP 4x. By upgrading to a new mainboard, you can go AGP 8x, but it's really no improvement for most games... especially with the cards listed above.

I'd highly urge scrapping the extra 40 bucks and going for the 9800 Pro as it's a super card for even today's games. It also uses an external power connector (uses a floppy/hd power cable) so it is absolutely guaranteed to work in your mainboard in case your AGP slot's 1.5v rail is weak or unstable (not too uncommon with older AGP 4x mainboards!).

Edit- Tom's Hardware Charts here may help you make your decision. Be sure to check all the pages as there are many games benchmarked here:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/vga-charts-pcie-02.html#3d_mark_2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back