AGP voltage/compatibility advice needed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay AK

hiya all,
just wondered if i can quiz you good folk out there for a little help/advice,
the thing is, i've just purchased one of these:

http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchan...t_Code=AX800PRO-TVD-256&Category_Code=ASUSATI

the thing is, i am currently using a MSI K7N2 Delta 2 Platinum mobo:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=613

you've probably guessed the problem straight away, it seem's the X800 is 3.3v, where as my mobo only support's 1.5v. is there no way around this other then to upgrade the board, and if so what mobo would you guy's recommend? preferably, i'd like to keep my xp3200 CPU but would consider upping the CPU if it came to it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks :D

Jay

PS: as this is an AGP card, i need a mobo with an AGP slot, i'm not really wanting to have to spend more money on a PCI card atm :( .

New Mobo

I don't think there is a way around it other than buying a new mobo.

I recommend the ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE. It's a fine motherboard, as long as you don't have a Radeon 9800 Pro.

thank's alot for the speedy reply satchmo ;) , i guessed that i may need to upgrade tbh, i'll do a search on your recommendation :)

Cheer's muchly

Jay

Looking at the two links you provided, I don't see why that card won't work, both your motherboard and video card are 8x compatible. And I don't see where that card is 3.3 volts either.

About the voltages: 3.3v was agp 1.0 (2x), 1.5v was agp 2.0 (4x), .8v is agp 3.0 (8x). Your motherboard supports 4x and 8x, so the ATi 8x card should work. Only AGP 2x cards are 3.3 v.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

aahh!! excellent, thank's olefarte :) ,
you don't know how happy you've made me now :D . it say's in the mobo manual:
Slots
One AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) slot
- Supports AGP 3.0 8X
Five 32-bit Master PCI bus slots
Supports 3.3V/5V PCI bus Interface

so finger's crossed, i should be ok

thank's dude

Jay

Hi again guy's,
ive tested the card in my system, but when it boot's up on window's own driver, my desktop appear's but there are 2 green bar's, about 2" wide going from the top to the bottom of the screen and patches of green lines all over the lower part of the screen and around my mouse cursor, also, when i boot after installing any of the latest driver's (ASUS, ATI, Omega version's), i get either a blank (black) screen as if the monitor's switched off (it's still on though) or green/red line's going across a black screen depending on what driver's i tried. it even blue screened (fatal error) on me a couple of time's hhmm!. i've even had to boot in safe mode god know's how many time's
the only conclusion i can draw from this is either the card is a dud or it's been damaged in transit etc. The ASUS driver on the disk provided sent my PC nut's and bluescreened :( .
also, when i try to change the resolution to 1280x1024, 32bit, with 60/70/72/75Mhz refresh rate it wont let me so then reverts to 640x480 32bit, then on reboot, the screen would flash green line's then red line's across the screen and repeat's continuously. i've routed through the system bios to try and rectify it, altering various setting's in a bid to somehow get it to run but with no joy.
do any of you guy's have an idea what's going with it as i've done everything i can think of to try and fix the problem??, a friend suggested that it may be artifact's but i've tested for that and i'm getting zero so i don't think it's that.
i've updated my system (bios flash etc) and the problem is still there, so theoretically speaking, i think it's a dud as i know my system spec's can handle it. my PSU is a thermaltake 480w silent purepower so power may not be the issue.

any help would be greatly appreciated thank's guy's :)

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back