AGP8X card will not work in AGP4X slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomi

I HAVE A FX 5500 AGP 8X,MY MOTHERBOARD HAS AN AGP 4X SLOT,MY PC DOES NOT START when i plug this card in, i have a 230 w power supply is this the problem?

R U Sure, I Can Use A 128 Mb Agp8x Card In My Pc But Fx 5500 256 Mb Is Not Working,{i Hav Tried It On Another Pc With Agp8x With 300 W Power Supply And It Works On It] The Card Requires Minimum 250 W Power Supply

If the card supports agp x8 only then it wont work!!!!

Only cards that suooptt x4/x8 will work!!!!

You should really replace that inadequate power supply with AT LEAST a 400 watt psu. AGP 8X cards will work in 4X AGP mobo slots. The 8X cards require a bit more power than the older cards did, which is why they have a power connector built into the card.

If a x8 doesnt support x4 then IT WILL NOT WORK!!!!

I used to have a x4 mobo and came across this problem!!!

if the card supports agp4x, can the 230 w psu be the problem ,i read somewhere that minimum 250 w psu is required to run this card

nomi said:
so u r ruling out the power supply issue

Yes, absolutely!!!! You could put a terrawatt psu in there (if one exists) and it would not make a blind bit of difference!!!!

Read the info link i posted, your mobo's agp slot works at 1.5volts whereas an agp x8 card works at 0.8volt!!!! If it did work at all, it would eventually fry the card!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back