AHHH! Is it possible if......

Status
Not open for further replies.

oulooool

Well I had this issue with my computer about a month ago. My processor was running extremely hot somewhere around 62-68c and up I was using the stock fan that came with the AMD processor (which I will never do again-:eek: ) and I didn't even overclock it at all!! It ran perfectly fine for a while and then bam all sorts of problems (rebooting\lockups\blue screens and so forth) I switched out the mobo and processor but I am still having problems with my Radeon 9800pro 128. Now here's my question.......

If the processor was running too hot and burned out almost, would or could it effect my Ram\Vid Card\Sound Card?

I am having very similar problems to everyone else that owns a Radeon 9800 pro 128. But it ran perfect for the longest time! Now I get choppy sound and loops sometimes crackle or while playing a game I sometimes get this major chop that lasts for about 1-3 seconds (in games that is like forever)

Any suggestions or answer's are greatly appreciated as always Thanks

EDIT- I also have a thermaltake case with a 420w Silent Purepower (w/ Active PFC) power supply, but I am running 5 case fans(came inst on the case) 2 in the Power Supply, A Venus 12 (processor) fan, 1 16x DVD-Rom, 1 CD-Burner, 80gb HD UDMA, on a Athlon 64 system. Could my power supply not be enough power to support everything? I mean it's 420w but is that enough? The radeon also takes it's own power from the PSU as well.....

It is theoretically possible that you could have had a voltage flux or spike or short caused by your CPU problems. It is in my experience also highly highly unlikely.

Have you checked the drivers for your card? Are they the most recent revision, and have you tried any previous revisions?

Power concerns are always an issue- a supposedly sufficient PSU can provide "dirty" power that spikes all over the place, causing many odd issues. However, it would be very odd for it to impact only the video card.

The fact that you mention other Radeon users having the same problem makes me think design flaw. I can't speak really on ATI's products, though, as I'm a long time NVidia fanboy and haven't tried ATI in YEARS.

I *think* your PSU should provide enough juice, but you may wanna consider investing in a different PSU (name brand, you get what you pay for..)

Can someone else with more ATI experience comment?

Well I tried the drivers thing that was first and nothing =\

What PSU do you recommend? I currently am running a Thermaltake 420w Silent PurePower (w/ active PFC)

Your PSU should be fine, unless it has become defective.
Go into your BIOS and look at the Voltages that your PSU supplies to your motherboard. If there is more than a 5% difference to what it should be, you may consider exchanging it. Report here if you are in doubt.
At the same page you can look at your CPU and mobo-temperature.
Installing a utility like CPUIdle will bring down your CPU-temperature by up to 10 degrees C, unless you always play games.

Well my mobo temp and CPU temp are actually in 32-37c so I know thats all good :)

Now where do I find out about the PSU % usage? Which voltages am I looking at?

Originally posted by realblackstuff
the +5, -5, +12 and -12 volt will have the effective PSU-output-voltage next to them.

Compare these figures.
I don't know that much about PSU =\ I can't figure out what is wrong with my computer and I have swapped out almost every part with my other comp, so I am just buying brand new parts one at a time =\ I have a high end system that's running like a PIII =\

AHH yes man I did I found what you were talking about but I am at work now and I reformatted again last night. I am gonna attempt to do some major tweaking to see if I can get this thing running smoothly ONCE AGAIN =\ Any suggestions on a fresh install? Like any major tweeks you know of right off the bat? I am using Windows XP. After I get the net back up I will post the bios voltages for you to look at becuase I don't know much about voltages at all =\

Ok.......

My System temp is 32c and Cpu is 36-38c

Voltage it says this
VCORE VOLTAGE = 1.536v
3.3v = 3.280v
5v = 5.086v
12v = 12.004v

as I said I know nothing about voltage stuff. But from what it looks like it is giving off all the right amount's right?

After all this, I think we can safely say that your PSU and temperatures are perfect.

That leaves us with the graphics card.
Take it out, clean the fan, rub the AGP gold contact-strips on both sides with an eraser, so they become all shiny again. Remove all the eraser-particles and reseat the card back in. Don't forget the extra power-cable if that card needs one.
Boot up. Hopefully enjoy!

I have cleaned the fan but not the connectors it's still fairly new I will give that a go anyway, if not I will probably just send it to ati to get fixed\looked at it's still under warranty and never even thought to do that :p Thanks alot man I appreciate ALL your help with this stuff.

Your the MAN! :grinthumb

...start your question on the topic line, and then finish it on the post.

Always post a topic title that accurately describes the nature of your post, otherwise no one will be able to search for your problem and find any good answers inside this post.

We don't like continually answering the same questions again and again, so the search feature is promoted. And for search to work, we need concise topic titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back