AirBulb is a wireless LED light bulb with a built-in Bluetooth speaker

Shawn Knight

Staff member

From energy-saving advancements like CFL and LED technology to the inclusion of Wi-Fi for added control, the light bulb continues to reinvent itself. And when the latest creation from Avantconcept finally goes live on Kickstarter, we’ll see the traditional bulb take yet another step forward.

AirBulb is not unlike other recently-released smart bulbs in that it uses LED technology. In conjunction with an app for Android and iOS, AirBulb users can adjust the brightness and color temperature of the unit from their mobile device. But where AirBulb differs is in the fact that it also includes a small integrated Bluetooth speaker.

airbulb speaker kickstarter lightbulb

Users can stream their favorite tunes directly to the bulb from their handset or tablet. There’s no complicated setup process or wiring as everything is contained within the bulb. Simply screw the AirBulb into a standard E27 socket, download the app and you’re off to the races. Each unit is able to communicate with others to prevent delayed playback or unwanted echoes.

One shouldn’t expect audiophile-quality sound from such a setup but if you’re after a simple solution to add music to a room without having to introduce a gaudy speaker dock, this could be worth a look.

AirBulb isn’t the first speaker-in-a-light bulb solution to come down the pipeline as the StriimLight from AwoX essentially does the same thing. But the AirBulb will be a bit cheaper at around $60 versus the $99 that AwoX is asking for and it also relies on your mobile device for control instead of yet another remote like the StrimmLight.

Permalink to story.

What next? A shoe that vibrates when you need to wee? Glasses that massage your temples when you are stressed? Carpet that changes colour according to the time of day?

Aren't we all getting a bit tech-ridiculous?

Just when you thought some things were ridiculous enough... somebody will always try top it.
Here, take this "cigarette". Now, breath in as deep as you can, and hold it as long as you can! Do you see the pretty lights now? All of a sudden it all makes sense, right?

I actually think this is a cool idea. One of the downsides of a wireless bluetooth speaker is that you have to recharge it. If you're willing to deal with not being able to move it, using a light bulb socket is a great solution to having yet another plug in item in a room like the kitchen where counter space is valuable.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't make an entire light fixture with a bluetooth speaker built in. They could make it bigger and much better quality.

I actually think this is a cool idea. One of the downsides of a wireless bluetooth speaker is that you have to recharge it. If you're willing to deal with not being able to move it, using a light bulb socket is a great solution to having yet another plug in item in a room like the kitchen where counter space is valuable.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't make an entire light fixture with a bluetooth speaker built in. They could make it bigger and much better quality.
Already one step ahead of you, I bought mine and put them in those paper stand up light fixtures around the house. They look pretty coo land light well plus they conceal the speaker and give it more of a hidden feeling. I like being able to use them to play ambient music through the house or talk through them to people.

What a wonderful ideal! what I wonders is its durability and quality. For it cost at least $60, expensive than a LED bulb or a Bluetooth speaker. Yet I found it is really practical and applied for our life. I can imagine that in the bedroom, in the bathroom, in the living room, along with the warm atmosphere, it is the beautiful light music floating in the air...So I really want to have on or two of these, and make my house more cozy.

What a wonderful ideal! what I wonders is its durability and quality. For it cost at least $60, expensive than a LED bulb or a Bluetooth speaker. Yet I found it is really practical and applied for our life. I can imagine that in the bedroom, in the bathroom, in the living room, along with the warm atmosphere, it is the beautiful light music floating in the air...So I really want to have on or two of these, and make my house more cozy.
As strange as it may seem to you, this is far from a new concept. Back in the "hip era", Radio Shack, (and likely Heathkit as well), sold kits of what Radio Shack called, "a color organ". You connected it to one channel of your stereo, and it gave you 3 live AC outlets, 1 each, bass, midrange, and high frequencies, that lit up in time with your music.
I think you were allowed up to 300 watts of incandescent lighting per channel. So basically, you had three strings of independent lighting, dancing to the different tonal ranges of the music. Of course, you put colored bulbs in the light strings.

I built one, ran the light strings around the living room baseboards, and rocked out with my friends. (This was so long ago, I could actually tolerate other people. A lot has changed since then)...:D

Then all you needed were your basic drip candles, a copy of any given Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Who, or even Beatles album, a bottle of Mateus, and a bong. It was Heaven on Earth, I tell you....;)

Back