Airport found using Xbox Kinects for surveillance

Humza

Staff member
WTF?! Surveillance at airports is a common security measure but one using Xbox Kinect units certainly isn't. While many travelers would have strolled through security at the Newark International Airport without noticing, the gaming accessory did catch the eye of Jason Scott, a video game historian and archivist.

Microsoft's love it or hate it motion controller died in October 2017 and one year later the company ceased the production of the Kinect adapter that was meant to hook up the sensor with an Xbox console or a Windows PC. Although the device did return at MWC this year, it came in a much smaller form factor and was targeted at the IoT industry with a $399 Azure Kinect DK meant to be sold to developers, and officially stated by Microsoft as "not a replacement for Xbox Kinect."

While many gamers fond of the hardware still keep it on shelves to play or collect dust, a few were unexpectedly spotted at Newark International Airport in the US State of New Jersey.

Mounted on long arms above monitor screens, the close-up photo also reveals the Xbox logo embossed on the top left corner of the gadget. Whether the accessory makes for a better alternative than existing security cameras or if a bunch of these were going for cheap is anyone's guess, but it is interesting to see the device still in use, albeit not in a TV lounge but an airport.

Permalink to story.

Isn't the 'Kinect' Camera pretty advanced?
Think I read somewhere it has thermal/infrared capabilities and can even perform face recognition.
Super creepy, so this article is not a surprise to me.

Think I read somewhere it has thermal/infrared capabilities and can even perform face recognition.

I don't think it itself could perform facial recognition, but the cameras and sensors paired with the right software were upto the task though often it could be fooled.

I'm not surprised at this, the Kinect is a very advanced piece of hardware that Microsoft, poured a massive amount of money into and compared to what you would have to pay for something similar from a vendor would be very expensive in comparison.

The Kinect has been used a ton for all sorts of projects. The fact that TSA is being creative and using something that didn't cost millions does surprise me.

I don't think it itself could perform facial recognition, but the cameras and sensors paired with the right software were upto the task though often it could be fooled.

I have Kinect. It recognizes my face to sign me in to Xbox Live.

Kinect is so underrated, cheapest depth cam you can find, sad to see its support dropped by XBOX, no strap-on, controllers or whatsoever, one of a kind, just need to move your body.

Reminds me of a video where Russians used it in airport and claimed that it was their unique invention

Back