All About PCI Express; the Death of AGP8X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah PCStats is a good source of news.... I'm still wondering how long it will take for this stuff to seep into the mainstream.

i wonder how expensive this new technology will be. with the pci express and the new motherboard size.

Originally posted by SubKamran
I won't be using it for a couple of years since I just bought a 9800 Pro.

Well you wont be upgrading your CPU/Mobo either if thats the case.

Originally posted by vassil3427
This is precisely the reason I havent bought a new video card yet..

Ditto!

Originally posted by snowman
i wonder how expensive this new technology will be. with the pci express and the new motherboard size.

I recon its going to run around the same prices as mobos these days. They cant just start charging $180 for mobos because they all come with PCI Express when every mobo comes with it. It may be a little more when it first comes out though, since AGP will still be alive and PCI Express will be better/faster or whatever.

I can't see how PCI Express graphics are going to be any better than AGP 8X. The amount of bandwidth available to the AGP bus running at 8X speed is enormously more than any video card is transferring across the bus.

This is just for show... much like the increase of AGP from 4X to 8X.

Originally posted by tripleione
I can't see how PCI Express graphics are going to be any better than AGP 8X. The amount of bandwidth available to the AGP bus running at 8X speed is enormously more than any video card is transferring across the bus.

This is just for show... much like the increase of AGP from 4X to 8X.

I think you are missunderstanding. 2x to 4x, 4x to 8x, 8x to Express all had no graphical enhancments. They simply allowed more data to be throwen back and fourth at a faster rate - ie.bandwidth. PCI Express isnt to help increase graphics, its to remove the bottle neck that exists in our systems. Moving to PCI Express will allow future videocard's architecture to expand further, giving ATi and nVidia the option of taking performance to new levels (not that PCI Express is going to break new ground, it'll simply allow it over time). The way all our bus's work now is the same way they worked back on your 486. We've come so far we need more bandwidth, which PCI Express allows.

Originally posted by vassil3427
This is precisely the reason I havent bought a new video card yet..

I doubt you'll see much difference between the first gen PCI-Express and AGP8x, as this is the first time graphics makers are using this tech, and they have yet to "get to know it" as well as they know AGP the AGP standard...
(Not quite true, but I lack the words to express it english)

Also because we'll be seing first gen chipsets for PCI-Express... Anyone remember when we first got DDR?
Yes it was a bit faster than regular RAM, but the first chipsets wasn't exactly good...

So this makes me conclude that I'll stay away from PCI-Express until at least the second gen of chipsets are on the market... Unless I'm wrong about the quality of the first gen chipsets.... ;)

I don't have as many qualms about a PCI-Express gpu though, as the problems that might occur with it will most likely be able to be fixed with a driver update or two...

.02$ from one who has decided on not being an early adopter yet once more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back