All around PC problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstedne18

Ok, here's the deal...
I purchased an HP debranded athlon from geeks.com.
Here's the link.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TS-0001A-AMD112-R&cpc=SCH

The system specs are...
Brand:HP
Memory (RAM): 1,000 MB
Hard Drive Capacity: 160 GB
Processor Type: AMD Athlon 64
Operating System: Not Included
Processor Model: AMD 3500+
Primary Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo
Condition: Refurbished
INTEGRATED VIDEO CARD.

The PC came with no drivers or driver discs whatsoever. As it is debranded, they did the best that they could at covering up everything that specifies just what type of computer it is. I did some research and made a couple of long phone calls and figured out what kind of PC it was.

As there are no drivers, I cannot connect to the internet to download updates or drivers. I was referred to the program belark to figure out what all of my individual components are for the PC. There is no way to xfer the file onto the new PC, as there are no drivers for the USB or removable storage.

I have a PC with no drivers, and consequently no internet connection, no way to transfer files (update files/driver files) onto it, and nowhere else to go.

What can/should I do? This is ridiculous.

Does it have Windows 2000 or later on it? If it does then it will automatically install drivers for a usb flash drive or similar

It has windows XP....that's the OS I provided.

Does it automatically install those updates via internet? Because if so, that doesn't do much for me considering I cannot get a driver update for the internet to get a driver update for the removable media to get my driver updates to the internet etc.....It's kinda ironic really.

Windows XP comes pre-loaded with loads of drivers, it will install the appropriate one when you insert your flash disk - no internet required :)

Mate, do you have a USB flash drive or external hard drive or anything similar to that?

When you plug it into the USB or whatever interface it uses then XP will install the driver and you do not need the internet to do this

Then you can transfer your downloaded drivers onto the pc and get the NIC and everything working

I have a USB drive and a thumbdrive. It's 1gb. I plugged it in, and I don't know where to go from there. If it automatically installs the update, then it must not be working.

It should come up with a popup by the clock that says "Found new hardware" then the message will change to say "USB Mass Storage Device"

If it doesn't to begin with, give it a minute. If it still does nothing, right click on My Computer, click Properties and open the Hardware tab. Then click on Device Manager and click the button at the top that says "Scan for hardware changes" (if no items in the list are selected it will be the one on the far right). This will make Windows look for the device and install drivers.

you use a 286, please use the
edit.gif
button instead of posting a new reply each time you want to add new information. Replies can be more than one line and you can edit as much as you like :)

Also, the pc came with a CD Drive.

Ahoy matey! Pirate hint, download an XP driver pack.

Most XP drivers can be found here: http://driverpacks.net/

Just burn them to a DVD or CD, whatever your debranded PC uses.

I would suggest you download the network card driver pack and then stick it on a memory card or CD: http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/DriverPack.php?pag=l

I bought a debranded PC from Computer Geeks and I use driver packs to fill in the missing drivers.

Download them from the PC you use to get on the Internet and then burn a CD-ROM with them on.

If you are confused, download 7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/ and install it and then unzip the driver pack into a directory and then use CD Burning software to create the LAN driver CD, or copy the files to a memory stick or USB device. Then take the disk or device with the drivers on it and use it on your debranded PC that needs the network driver and install from that.

Good luck, matey, I hope your version of XP is legal and not the Windows XP Pirate Edition http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Pirate_Edition :rolleyes:

If you installed the OS, the drivers should have been automatically installed, Unless it is a Dell, which you said it isn't.
Open the device manager and check if there are yellow exclamations next to your devices, which would indicate that no drivers are installed. Try installing the drivers from there, By clicking update drivers or click the Action menu button, then select scan for hardware changes. This should install your drivers.

If the above doesn't work try the following.

You obviously have access to the internet(on another system) so, if you know the Comp Model or serial #, or product #, you should be able to go to hp's website and download the drivers there. You are gonna need to burn them to a disc, in order to transfer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back