All fans spin but NO POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi...,

After intensive search in this forum I’m posting my problem… :confused:
I'd assembled a System in Oct 04 with OS Win2K. It worked well for an year. I decided to upgrade the OS to WinXP. While upgrading I noticed during one of the reboots that the welcome page before POST began, had shown as Celeron D, whereas the system I had built was Pentium IV 2.4Ghz. .. Anyway, I completed upgrading the System to WinXP. During subsequent restarts, I observed that at least 1 out of 5 times welcome page showed as Celeron D. Out of curiosity, I opened the heat sink to reconfirm the make of the CPU. It was marked as Pentium IV 2.4GHz. Reassembled everything back.

Configuration of my system is as below:
----------------------------------------------
CPU-Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz
MB-Intel D865GBF
RAM-256MB 266MHz (Now 2 x 256MB 400MHz)
Seagate 80GB
PSU 300 Watts
ATX Tower Cabinet with 1 In Fan, 1 Out Fan
LG CD writer

Now, I started facing the series of actual problems: :unch:
------------------------------------------------------------
1. The System works well, as long as I run ordinary programs.
2. Idle conditions, the CPU zone temp is 46 to 48C max. Any low end games will raise the CPU temp to 54 to 56C max. And high end games will raise temp above that & system will freeze!
3. Well the system can be used for several hours in idle condition or with ordinary software, but the system DOES NOT START even after normal shut down..
4. After normal shut down and wall power taken off, when the system is powered back again, the CPU & Cabinet fans run and NO DISPLAY, NO POST, NO BEEP....
5. I tried all possible methods to identify the problems through reading the Intel website, Forums etc...
6. Some of the quick solutions were like, CMOS battery change, Bios recovery, RAM replacement, PSU replacement and reassembling the parts one-by-one in sequence, etc. Nothing worked.
7. Finally, I could start the system by removing the CPU & reseating it again, placing the heat sink back with thermal paste. But the problem starts again when the system is restarted. But the problem is solved temporarily every time by reseating the CPU! And no other methods mentioned in sl. no. 6 work

My first question is, which out of CPU & MB has gone bad or both of them? And next Q is, Can the problem be resolved in any tricky method or should I try returning the CPU/MB Intel?

Thanks to all & welcome with some genuine solutions. :p

The first thing I would do in this case is reflash the BIOS with the latest update from the motherboard manufacturer's site.

Because the Celeron D is a dual-core processor and the installed processor is a standard Pentium 4.

But you have only done a BIOS recovery, which is flashing the same BIOS file.

Did you get a new BIOS file from the maker's site, even if it isn't an update?

How does CPU-Z from http://www.cpuid.com/ ID the processor?

Have you checked the processor and the socket with a magnifying glass to make sure that there is nothing in the socket or on the contacts on the CPU that is making that happen?

Did yuo install the motherboard drivers after installing XP? also what brand of PSU is it you have? 300 watts is pretty weak for a P4 system. the very first one I built was a 2.6Ghz P4 and the case I had purchased had a codegen 300 watt psu and the system wouldnt even boot with it.

Thx ISS & Eric Legge,

To ISS:-
The problem is existing before upgrading to Win XP.
PSU is good one (VIP), anyway i've swapped to 400 watts, still no joy.
And do u think the PSU should give ANY INTERMITENT problem?

To Eric Legge:-
Got BIOS update from Intel website.
I couldn't get ur second line...I've Pentium 4 which is seem marked on the CPU as well as i had alreay got it identified throu several other softwares like CPU-Z.
Well i like that suggetion of checking the processor and the socket with a magnifying glass. I've added in my next checklist...I shall come back with that report..

Thx..

And do u think the PSU should give ANY INTERMITENT problem?

yes a dodgey PSU you most certainly cause intermintent problems and all kinds of bizzare computer problems. many people dont realize that a PSU with unstable voltages can cause all kinds of Hardware AND software problems.

Dear iss,

I agree with u for PSU giving INTERMITENT problem. And that is the reason I had replaced with brand new PSU (VIP 300 Watts) but no joy in my case..

But, the CPU cannot give any INTERMITTENT problem. I'm really sorry I intended to ask about CPU and not PSU in my last posting, replying 2 your post. That was my typing mistake, I should always preview the the post before uploading...

Thx.

Sounds like a BIOS or a MB problem.

Since you updated the bios, it might be the motherboard. Do you have access to another pentium 4 mobo? I would test my components, includding the memory.

Welcome compres,

Yes, I suspected it could be MB as u said.
Swapping the components with other best known components is the best way to detect & eliminate the problem. I dont hv a spare MB right now. I shall wait 4 sometime to get one or trade 4 it. Anyway, I shall come back with the result when do the test.

rgds.
BellyButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back