All games and programs crash after new mother board and cpu installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello ppl i need some help here, recently i upgraded from a AMD 3800+ cpu and biostar Geforce 6100 motherboard and 7300gt DDR2 256mb TO a Intel E6850 core 2 Duo 3.ghz cpu and the motherboard to a ASUS P5N-E SLI and the gfx card to a 8600gt DDR3 256MB, i had to reinstall windows which i did, i reinstalled the motherborads drivers and reinstalled my gfx card drivers but now every program, game, application, internet, crashes to the desktop with a error msg sayin this program had to be ended sorry for the inconveince and so on pls i really need help with this i dont really know much about computers. here are my full new specs.

intel E6850 core 2 Duo 3.ghz cpu
1500mb DDR2 ram
450 watt power supply
P5N-E SLI ASUS motherboard.
8600GT GFX Card 256mb DDR3
windows xp pro sp2

any help will be greatly appreciated.

well ok let me explain the full story of what i did ok i took my pc in to a shop for the upgrade when i went to fetch it the guy said that my windows is unstable as no devices are showing in device manager so i took it home reinstalled windows put in the motherboard drivers and programs cd and installed the drivers from there i then installed my gfx drivers and tried to play games then the error msg pops up i never touched the bios settings or anything else

hi
when you say "reinstalled windows" .. did you delete the original partition and then created a new one ?
what were the reinstallation steps you took?...

as to the bios: there should be a cd with the motherboard , on it should be a "bios update software" (ASUS bios update utility)..

drivers: for the 8600gt search here
for the motherboard here

cheers

the way i installed windows was i put the xp pro cd in and restarted my pc and set it up from there, i formated the c drive partition and installed windows on it

any luck with bios and drivers ?

also the RAM you are using (1500 MB), is it the same make and specifications? even if it is, run memtest (have a look at the Guides section)... have a look at this also

I don't quite understand. The PC was in the shop for the upgrade and the person at the shop handed you back your PC saying that Windows was unstable. That makes little sense, even after a reread. If the upgrade was done at the shop, shouldn't it be working BEFORE you took possession of it. Here, I broke your computer, that will be $200.00. Do you see where that makes no sense?

no im not going to do it im going to phone that *** who upgraded my pc and tell him to come and fix it cause all this stuff is driving me bonkers, anyways thank you all for helping me but i think he must do it and be responsible for it

When you do all of that....You actually have a new PC...

Was there ever a doubt that you would have to reinstall Windows? You have changed the board, the CPU, AND the video card. I actually had Windows work on a new board, but everything else was the same, and I think I was really lucky. Anybody can change the board, but not everybody can set up a PC. Now, major crashes such as you are describing are (a great many times), caused by video drivers.
I still don't understand why you weren't told (or didn't know) going in, that the Windows installation probably wouldn't work, and at some time this wasn't discussed with your tech. You could have a bad board or a bad card, but a tech should be in the best position to appraise this.
I don't know how this deal was structured in the first place. If you walked in with a bag full of parts saying, put this together, that could limit the stores liability for what goes wrong. At this point, it still seems like a contractual issue more than anything, as to who thought what and what each of the parties expectations should be.

At this point, you could have bad parts or did a faulty install of the OS. Which is a really vague diagnosis. One which I apologize for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back