All new again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBN

I turned my computer on and it took longer than usual to boot into windows. My computer is acting as if i just installed windows. My favourites etc have dissapeared although the software that i installed is intact. The default windows theme is on instead of the classic one i had.

Why did this happen?

Did you somehow delete the settings under your User (C:\documents and settings\username) maybe? It would revert to default settings i believe.

Sometimes whent here is a hardware or software problem windows will load a default profile. all the programs will be intact but personal settings and favorotes will be gone because they are on another profile and not the one windows loaded.

Can you log out of that account and then log in to your user account ?

The default name is user,with no password.

I restarted my computer and everything was normal again??? Strange? The thing is that i initially did enter my password when this problem happened.

If it happens again You might want to run your Hard drive makers diagnostic program on your hard drive to check it. I have seen what you describe several times, and in more than a few occasions it was the first warning signs of eventual hard drive failures.

if it happens just once it's probably just a glitch. if it starts happening frequently you know that you have a hardware problem that is causing OS corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back