All of us are fools....

Phantasm66

Here is an e-mail i sent....

hi stephen,

i handed in my work as you said to donald before 5 pm on friday. donald did watch as i worked out some of the final sums.... i had a revelation then donald was there that there should be an acumulator in doing a sum... i realised a lot about assembly language thanks man... anyway,,, he saw that i did the work on my own with him watching,,, he was like a tutor in the sense that i did the work and he watched... he will confirm,,,, anyway, the work is on your desk, and if you miss it, i attach a copy but only if you think i should.... u did work hard, sorry if its worse than the exam on which i tend to do better.... sorry many drinks later...... i did by best anyway sorry if its not as good as the exam,.... take care stephen love to you and justine..... \nyway work is on your desk and i am sorry its not better aftetr all the time i have had.... thanks for everything steph mate cheerz.....

i have learned a lot your from course and I thank U for teaching it....!

-derek

Remember, we are all learning.... :) :) :)

I am sure that the best of US are fools... yours stories pleaz////...

lets face it even the best of US know sweet FA about computers.......

I would like a topic about the serious mistakes you have all made..... fdisking that c: and all that stuff......

Lets see

adding ram to a clients computer while its turned on

unplugging a hard drive while the computer is on

ummm...I can probably come up with alot more these two just stick.

hehehe one time a friend of mine tried to add a HDD to a machine with the power turned on. he fried the motherboard, HDD and ram....

;)

I don't even know how many times I've wiped out partitions when I thought there's nothing I'll need, only to find out a minute later I just deleted something important like e-mails, backup images &c. And of course I never remember to make backups until it's too late. I've added and removed hdds and cd-rom drives (IDE) to machines when they've been on, no harm done ever. Sometimes IDE bus locks up if I don't remember to unmount devices and things like that.

I've also heard of connecting IDE devices when the computer is on, probably best though to (if you are brave enough to try it) is to have the power to it on first..... but I wouldn't recommend doing this at all anyway.

not really relevant... but this morning I forgot to take my trousers to work... I usually pack them in a rucksack as i bike to work and get changed before I start... I had to wear my shorts all day:mad: .

There is nothing wrong with that as I am sure it was quite a bit cooler today than most of the others.

Heh I wear shorts all year round. Even when it is snowing outside. SNGX can vouch for that.

Well...

Forgetting that the drive used LBA, and set it up as a LARGE drive.. Thus all the data was innaccesible, and I did a format...

3 days later I remembered that my cv and all recommendations was on that drive..... :(

Heh, was supposed to write zeroes to a friends HDD, took an utill, didn't read the text, woke up the next morning and then it had done the low level format on my primary rigs HDD

When I read the dialog boxes it warned me that this utill was not made for my friends HDD and thus took mine instead (only choice left)...

---

Have killed around four processors in different overclocking attempts, two mobos with volt-mods etc etc ;)

Formatted my HD thinking I had a win98SE install handy.
Only had a "upgrade" disk. Only full operating system I had handy at the time was Dos 6.22. I installed this then upgraded to Win98. Wondered how my HD was full so quick!!!
MSDOS 6.22 didn't correctly recognise a 20gb disk, I mean why would it ;) It had formatted to a fraction of its true size.

I always remember the day that I gleefully ran delpart (a utility that deletes all partitions of all types on all HDDs) and then completely forgot about needed a bootdisk. Its image had been on one of the partitions I just deleted.

I nearly everyone must have a scary partition story :evil:

Nah, screwing a HDD with Partitionmagic for example barley counts...

It's most often the programs fault and not yours, it's just TOO simple to use...

About my "zeroes problem" Portner, yes, of course I lost everything (for the record it's completley impossible to recover the data when you do a low level format, as opposed to the high level formats that you do with format.com in Windows for example...

Oh, and of course my newest backup was a few months old to, this is the reason I now remove all HDD's that are not to be formatted when I do a format ;-)

You know sometimes you learn things to :D

dumbest thing is probably... installing a new cpu fan, getting frustrated because the stupid clips are made wrong, and slipping the screw driver off the clip while pushing down really hard... results... frying mobo.

Last night I came back from having 4 beers, not much for me, and decided to start installing service packs for win2000 on my sisters computer. Also during this time I fired up Starcraft and played a few games on battlenet. Well things were going good in the game when I lagged out, thats not supposed to happen on my cable modem. I exit to desktop and see 1 by 1 timing out on everything I have open that is using the net. I guess a cable came loose on the back of my computer.
So I play around with it a bit - disconnect the wires and reconnect them (2 Nics in my computer - 1 runs crossover to my sister's at the moment) apparantly I hooked them back into the wrong cards. I tried repairing the network connection a couple times- that wasnt' working. I just went to bed.
Today I get up and am about to call my ISP when I decide that the wires are pretty messy behind my computer so I took them all out and used cable ties and made everything neat, thats when I realized that I hooked them up wrong last night, everything back to normal now.

Haha at least you didn't have to call and act like a ***** asking them why it doens't work. THat might have been pretty funny when they came to check it out and found that you plugged in your cards wrong.

One great classic one is allowing cabrone to install winxp on my computer. I have 2 separate hard drives that up until my third format of winxp hadn't been partitioned. He was messing around in 'fdisk' seeing which partition he had to format and, as always, BLAZING through warning screens and selection screens with incredible speed. I ended up with a win98 hd and a winxp hd because he deleted the second hard drive holding all of the important stuff i saved off of my win98 partition.

Dumbest thing i've done personally...Somehow I messed up my hard drive so badly that when I turned on my computer it would say 'remove system disk' as if i had a floppy disk in the computer only there wasn't one. I think i had to write 0s to fix that problem.

Back