Alleged image of PlayStation 5 dev kit leaks

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Sony has been releasing a lot of information about the PlayStation 5 this year, including its “holidays 2020” release date, though the company has kept silent when it comes to the PS5’s design. But newly leaked images of what’s purportedly the console’s dev kit could give us an idea of what to expect.

The photo of the alleged dev kit comes from Zone of Tech, and looks almost identical to the Sony patent that was uncovered in August.

Both images show an unusual-looking machine that's shaped like a “V,” which is the Roman numeral for 5. The new image gives us a better look at the console, and has been turned into a render by LetsGoDigital, which discovered the original Sony patent.

We see that the dev kit has six USB ports—probably one USB 2.0 and five USB 3.0—along with the usual on/standby, reset, and eject buttons. At the top right, there’s what appears to be a built-in camera, which would likely allow one-touch 4K livestreaming—a feature that’s also rumored to be present in Microsoft’s next-gen Xbox Scarlett.

There are also status lights on the left-hand side numbered zero to seven, which could relate to each connected controller. The "System" and "Network” INIT ports are thought to be dev kit-only features.

Even if this is a real image of the PS5 dev kit, and it should be taken with a pinch of salt, the final version of the machine could change drastically from what we see here. Given that many people aren’t keen on this unusual design, don't be surprised to see something quite different when the console arrives in around 12 months.

Permalink to story.

It looks so silly to me but it looks stack-able and functional. I can't say I like it but as long as it's a powerhouse of a console then I guess it's alright! Of course, this is still only a prototype, and the whole outside casing could still be switched out before mass production, right? The PS3 fat models I weren't too far off from something like this I suppose, but the ps3 slims, ps4, ps4 pro all have a somewhat slim appeal to them, this just seems somewhat out of the ordinary for them, IMO.

I mean, I guess that's basically what they are saying at the end of the article. Either way, I've always been more of a function over style type of person.

Yeah, this does not give us any design clues. Have you seen a PS4 dev kit? It's meant to be a development friendly brick, not appealing.
3chCQY9l.png

It's not even worth speculating potential designs off of a devkit (as they're meant to have extra ports and lights and buttons)...

Yeah, this does not give us any design clues. Have you seen a PS4 dev kit? It's meant to be a development friendly brick, not appealing.
3chCQY9l.png

It's not even worth speculating potential designs off of a devkit (as they're meant to have extra ports and lights and buttons)...

That makes sense! Nope, I've never seen those prototypes before. Thanks for posting the info.

It's just a dev kit if it's real. As I said when the patent appeared, it's huge and likely a dev kit based on the size. Just look at the disc drive slot for scale, that's nearly five inches. It looks 15 inches wide and 6-7 inches high. Original large Xbox One is only 13 long and 3 high.

It's more likely that consumer machines will be considerably smaller, they always are.

As long as it keeps it cool and quiet. Current PS4 can sound like it's struggling to keep temperature in check.

The black/silver finish looks nice, but this thing looks like it came straight out of the early 2000s. Definitely not something designed for a modern entertainment center. It's still leaps and bounds better looking than the PS4 dev kit though...

I actually like the spaceship look it has going for it, not just a boring black wedge or brick like everything else. At least it's a guarantee it won't run excessively hot with all that ventilation right?

Back