Am2 upgrade..windows won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so i finally decided to upgrade from 939 to am2. i got a msi board, amd 5200x2, thermaltake ps, and mushkin ddr2800 (2x1gb). i hooked it all up, and basically only 256 mb of ram are read at post, and windows won't start. it gives me the list to run on safe mode, etc., and no option works. just keeps looping. so i figured the msi board was shot, since it was an open-box buy, and got a dfi infinity nf570-m2/g, which i wanted in the first place. set it up to find the same thing, so i know it's not the board. i assumed it was the memory then, and replaced the mushkin with a 2x1gb set of ocz (still ddr2 800). same deal. it can't be the memory. i know it's not the power supply or my old hard drive, cause i'm using my old setup right now, with the new thermaltake ps.
the only thing left seems to be the cpu, but it doesn't make sense. Any ideas? can it be a bad cpu? oh yeah, and i cleaned all the compound off the heatsink, and re-applied some arctic silver in case there was too much compound. that's not it either. it just doesn't seem right that a bad cpu would even post at all. plus the bios reads the correct cpu info. help? anyone?

After performing a large hardware upgrade such as what you did, Windows needs to be reinstalled. The old installation was optimized for the old hardware, and as such will not run at all on the new hardware.

what about the fact that no matter what stick(s) of memory i put in, or in which board/slot, it always reads 256mb? what does windows have to do with that? thanks for the reply.

rmaxtpmx said:
what about the fact that no matter what stick(s) of memory i put in, or in which board/slot, it always reads 256mb? what does windows have to do with that? thanks for the reply.
Anytime a motherboard is replaced Windows needs to be re-installed, that's just the way it is.

i've never had to before. anyway, i got xp, and don't intend to use vista anytime soon. won't re-installing xp void the lisence? i've never re-installed on the same hd before. i'd really rather pay for another windows lisence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back