AM2 vs. Conroe

Status
Not open for further replies.

LipsOfVenom

Thoughts on these 2 new cores? When they come out for consumers, which one will emerge as the faster gaming CPU? We've seen that Intel's use of DDR2 doesn't help that much, will AMD really capitalize on DDR2?

considering that 64 bit technology has been out for quite some time with limited software support, I am not in a rush to buy the latest duel core chip that is out there. Heck, my Athlon XP 3200+ does everything I need it to do - to include games.

I know it is ALL speculation at this point until everything is released and in our hands.

But I gotta say, it is looking like this COULD be a major turning point in computing again. AMD has had the crown for a few years now, but perhaps the tides will change with conroe.

From what is being reported on the new AM2, it providing minimal, if any at all, increase over the current 939 socket CPUS. If that's the case, conroe just may have a chance of taking over the champions crown and winning back some of the market share from the gaming community. Maybe ;)

Either way I think it is good, beacuase it is showing tht Intel wants to get some gamers back so they are trying to raise the bar. Even if AMD comes out on top for the next few years it looks like they are going to be pushed by Intel to raise the bar as well. Which only makes things better for those all of us to get the best performace that is possible. Could be very exciting.

LipsOfVenom said:
will AMD really capitalize on dual channel?
dual channel already exists on socket939

it's too early to say what will be better. We already know that Conroe will be an awesome processor, but we don't yet know for sure what AMD has in store for us, we only know of the upcoming socket change.

Anyways, conroe is still months away from release, which gives AMD time to fight back :)

KingCody said:
dual channel already exists on socket939
I think that maybe he meant to say DDR2 not duel channel.

I can hardly wait to see what happens when these new procs come out because you know that AMD has to be working on something to compete with the Conroe. Which is just going to just make all the next gen stuff that much better.

I did mean DDR2, but thanks for bringing that slip to my attention. The expected FX 62 and the 5000+ are supposed to be AM2 structured no? It looks as though Intel's E6500 will be most popular since it's slated for a modest $270, but maybe people will prefer the 4 MB cache and spring for the $310 E6600, which is around the current price for AMD's X2 3800. I must confess I haven't seen the whole price line-up for AM2 yet, but the addition to the FX series doesn't really entice me since it'll be around $1000 anyways, which is too far past my monetary allowances.

I've read alot on Conroe beating the crap outta current FX models. I've also read about how little (if at all) performance increase the AM2 has over current models, but apparently they didn't use the fastest DDR2 RAM out there on that test. Even then, I think the conroe is still the better processor. I'll be waiting for some reviews once they're available....

I have seen some of those they weren't using the fastest DDR2 for testing. But the ones I read that were comparing the two they using the same memory for each test so they are being constant at least. Then it doesn't really matter what the memory is unless you are trying to find the best benchmarks they can get, but then that is more of a test for the whole system not just the proc.

people are getting too excited too fast about this new processor....

1. the test rigs were setup by Intel

2. the test conroe was "hand-picked", the AMD was "off-the-shelf"

3. the hardware used in the tests were optimal for the Intel, but not optimal for the AMD

Although the initial benchmarking tests look very promising for the Conroe, I won't get excited about tests run on rigs configured by Intel.

and like I said before, we don't yet know what AMD has in store for us, we only know what they have publically announced. AMD has held the performance crown for years now and I don't think that they'll give it up that easily.

I agree KingCody. I am just looking at the benchmarks for the conroe and as you said they look very promising. Which is really going to push AMD to top that. Then if Intel is very serious about trying to become the top performer again they will work on topping that.

As they fight back you will be a lot of good new hardware coming out which will help us all whether you by the best out or you are an Intel or AMD fanboy.

agreed. either way it will make both sides better and will make what we now consider the best cheaper :)

BTW...
Jimbo420 said:
Don't park drunk. Accidents cause people.
lol :)

I agree with King Cody. I'm interested in the Conroe, but I'll still wait for production, and reviews of these production chips.

Besides, any Conroe chips tested now are sent by intel to be tested against AMD. They wouldn't be letting people test how inferior their product is anyway.

Its all marketing people....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back