AM37 MB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! I just signed up to TechSpot because I've been trying to add a video card to my PC which has integrated video on the MB, an AM37. I can't get any info from the PC manufacturer, E-Machines (OK, maybe I should have visited TechSpot before buying it). Anyway, the video card installation instructions say to disable the on-board video before installing the card. The manufacturers site provides no info on how to disable the integrated video. The PC is an e-machines T2460 with an AMD 2400 CPU on an FIC AM37 motherboard. It is running Windows XP (I'm a novice at this sort of thing so I don't know if that is relevant, just want to provide as much info as possible). Also the Video Card is a GEforce2 MX400).

Any help will be appreciated!

In response to your problem there...eMachines are pretty picky. Most, if not all, motherboards with onboard video will automatically disable the onboard once booted up with a video card inserted into the AGP or PCI port. If it does not (which is rare) then you go into your BIOS and disable the video there, if available. To access your BIOS, press either F2, F4, F8, or Del at the Post Screen; it should say which button to press (where it shows the motherboard manufacturer and memory or the eMachine logo before Windows begins to boot). You may have to press Esc first if it shows a boot logo. Well hopefully that helped. :grinthumb

Thanks Monkiki! I plugged the card in and it's running. Windows doesn't see the old video and Norton Utilities is showing that the RAM that had been taken up for the integrated video is now available.

A couple of odd things now though, which may belong to the video forum rather than the mobo forum. I had rebooted a couple of times and everything worked fine, but when I'd turned off the PC for a couple of hours and restarted I ended up with a blank screen. Had to restart twice before the video came back. Also once, on re-boot, got a windows message that the video display was set to an extermely low level even though display settings are set to 1024X768 and 32bit color.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Rev 1: Tuesday morning, 3 seems to be the magic number. When the PC has been turned off for a while have to start 3 times before the video will work. Once it gets going I can reboot with no problem. Could this be a short in the card?

Do you get the blank screen at boot or once Windows loads?
Also, what brand is your Geforce?

Here's a few things to try:

-Make sure you have the latest Detonator drivers for your video card. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77
-Go to the eMachines website and check for any updated mobo drivers. (And it looks like they do have an updated VIA 4 in 1 driver) http://www.emachines.com/support/support_info.html?prodName=T2460
-Uninstall any video driver for the built in video. (in Add-Remove Programs)
-Go into your BIOS and disable Video Shadowing.
-In Windows open up the System Properties window by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties (or press the Windows key + Pause/Break key on the keyboard) then click on the Hardware tab and Device Manager...make sure there are no items with an exclamation mark on them. If so, that may be a part of your problem.
-If you have another video card handy you can install that and see if you have the same problem.

If none of those work and you haven't heard from eMachines yet you may want to try eMachine's Live Chat (in Support) or exchange your video card for another to see if the problem occurs again. It's pretty rare that new video cards have problems like these, but possible. Like I said before eMachines are picky when it comes to upgrading. It just take some careful troubleshooting. Let me know if any of this helps.

If you have any more problems try e-mailing me at Monkiki24@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Monkiki, Yes, I had been getting a blank screen at boot-up, no logo or anything.

Followed your suggestions. Works fine now. Turned PC off overnight and it booted perfectly this morning!

Thanks again :grinthumb

Im having a similar problem, with the same set up with the exception of the video card(were trying to install an ati radeon 7000). I Checked in the device manager as suggested and there is a yellow circle with an exclamation mark next to the video card. The error it gives me is that the device can not find any available resource and to disable something but there isnt anything else in any of the slots on the system.

If someone could help me with this I would appreciate it, or let me know if i should make a new thread.

You will most likely have an option to disable the Onboard video in the BIOS, or possibly a jumper on the board to disable it. There should also be the option to initialize Onboard, PCI, or AGP port for video output. Please provide more information about the system, or motherboard, make and model for further assistance.

I don't think you need to start a new thread if it is a similar issue. Esp. since Photog's issue appears to be resolved. One of the moderators can clarify this for us.

Bug

More BIOS emachine problems

I have a S1940 emachine and am trying to install a RADEON (ATI) 9600SE. I've done all the things recommended on this thread. The CMOS Setup does not have VIDEO field so that you can't disable the onboard S3 Graphics that way. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back