Amazon is about to open the first supermarket with Just Walk Out technology

jsilva

Forward-looking: Later this week, Amazon will open the first full-sized grocery store that allows shoppers to pay for their groceries with traditional payment methods or using the company's Just Walk Out technology to skip check out for a more convenient shopping experience. The store will be located in The Marketplace at Factoria in Bellevue, Washington.

The first full-sized grocery store featuring Just Walk Out technology will open on June 17. To commemorate the store's opening, Amazon will also do product and Amazon gift cards giveaways, give free samples, provide activities for kids, and more.

Amazon's Just Walk Out technology uses a mix of computer vision, sensor fusion, and deep learning to allow customers to pick up a product and skip checkout when exiting the store.

When entering an Amazon grocery store with Just Walk Out shopping, users will be prompted to choose between traditional shopping or Just Walk Out. When choosing the latter, customers will have to scan the QR code in their Amazon app, use Amazon One to scan their palm or insert a credit/debit card linked to their Amazon account.

After choosing one of the options, customers may do their shopping as they usually do. Whatever they take from the shelves will be added to a virtual cart. If they put anything back on the shelf, it's removed from the virtual cart.

Once customers have everything they need, they'll have to go to the Just Walk out gates and scan their palm/QR code or insert a credit/debit card to exit.

Dilip Kumar, VP of physical retail and technology at Amazon, states that the feedback on Just Walk Out shopping "has been fantastic, with customers noting that skipping the checkout allows them to save time and reduce contact in stores." Kumar also added that "bringing Just Walk Out technology to a full-size grocery space with the Amazon Fresh store in Bellevue showcases the technology's continued ability to scale and adapt to new environments and selection."

Permalink to story.

If you want to save time and reduce contact in stores, just have your groceries delivered.

Done. I just bypassed Amazon's Walkout Technology without setting foot in their grocery store.
Bezos and Amazon should just stick to what they do best, sell stuff over the internet, and leave the public domain alone. That he feels the obligation to invade all aspects of human life, is just an indicator of the greedy piece of crap he truly is.

Does he really feel the manifest duty to screw people out of their low paying jobs with his "breakthrough technology"? After all, the little old lady down the street's only human contact for the week, might be a few words passed with the supermarket cashier

How many jobs is this going to cost in the long run?
Too many, even in the short term.

The more I hear of Bezo's antics (**), the more I hope "Blue Horizon", has a catastrophic booster failure.

The next thing you know, he'll try to invent teleportation, so he can do away with all his warehouse workers, pilots, aircraft, delivery trucks & drivers, et al.

(**) Paranoid delusions of world domination, godhood, supreme being.....et al./

Last edited:
Oh, who cares about saving time but avoiding contact with other human beings....yes...because well you know...germs and all. God forbid a stray germ comes in contact with my body.

*face palm*
If you've ever had the Flu or a cold or any transmitted illness you got it from another person. Just because you wash your hands when you use the bathroom and don't wipe your nose on your hands doesn't mean others live the same way.
To me this is all about being able to walk out without having to stand in a line the reduced contact thing is mostly just marketing.

Too many, even in the short term.

The more I hear of Bezo's antics (**), the more I hope "Blue Horizon", has a catastrophic booster failure.

The next thing you know, he'll try to invent teleportation, so he can do away with all his warehouse workers, pilots, aircraft, delivery trucks & drivers, et al.

(**) Paranoid delusions of world domination, godhood, supreme being.....et al./
All the products have to get to the store and its shelves somehow. The technology has to be implemented somehow. I don't understand all this hate for Amazon. I've had nothing but great experiences with their customer service and their prices. The blame for smaller stores going out of business and people losing jobs is not Amazon's fault it's the fault of people who stopped shopping at their local shops.

All the products have to get to the store and its shelves somehow. The technology has to be implemented somehow. I don't understand all this hate for Amazon. I've had nothing but great experiences with their customer service and their prices. The blame for smaller stores going out of business and people losing jobs is not Amazon's fault it's the fault of people who stopped shopping at their local shops.
Jeff Bezos is for all intents and purposes, "the Alexander the Great" of online sales and marketing. His quest for domination beyond that boundary, and extending to all aspects of the things we buy and where we buy them, is almost criminal, and completely unnecessary.

He's, "conquered the world", so to speak, in online sales, and he's a billionaire many, many, times over His persistent greed is obnoxious.

Since supermarkets operate a very low profits anyway, why does he feel the need to even try to take those earnings away? Much less take away the jobs from those store's employees, by way of some asinine technology

Aren't most fruit and veggies sold by weight? How is this going to work?

Work in a produce section of a traditional supermarket, and I'd say it's about a 50/50 split between prepackaged and bulk. Of the bulk I'd say another 50% is sold by the item not weight, and the stuff that is doesn't have to be. It's just easier to sell by the item if you're able to maintain a constant size/weight, and some things like broccoli crowns can be pretty random, so you bag those.

If you've ever had the Flu or a cold or any transmitted illness you got it from another person. Just because you wash your hands when you use the bathroom and don't wipe your nose on your hands doesn't mean others live the same way.
You sort of sound like your own mother, nagging about germs, other people's cleanliness. The truth of the matter, this recent SARS-2 outbreak was a once in a lifetime event. You have to be damned near a hundred to claim, "I lived through the Spanish Flu". In fact, I'm not entirely sure if it was not a case of germ warfare.

With that said, germs are a fact of life. That's why nature gave us what's known as, "an immune system? While it certainly isn't infallible, it likely protects us from many more things than we're aware we've contacted.

So, your post illicits one of those, "you kidz today", are soft and spoiled. Believe it or not, I actually survived measles, chicken pox, and mumps. The only things we were inoculated against were smallpox and polio.

But, I confess to "playing along". I had the J & J shot, but still wear a mask when I go into public buildings, for two reasons. It's supposedly only 70% effective, and I don't want to cause others alarm. In other words, "I'm still flying under the radar".

This nonsense is pure naivete. Even in the brick and mortar world, large chain businesses come into town, and drop prices to levels with which local small businesses can't hope to compete. Then after the locals are out of business, they jack the prices back up..

Personally, I've had more than satisfactory business dealings with Amazon.com. Both directly, and with their "marketplace" sellers. In fact, at this point in some instances, I'd rather buy computer parts from them, than Newegg.

All of that notwithstanding, all I want to know about Jeff Bezos is, "is their any limit or end to this pr*ck's greed? And that's a question I doubt very much you can answer.

Back