AMD 3000+ / Radeon 9800 256 mb compatibility questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

fimbles

Hi..

Bit of a cross topic question so not quite sure if its in the right thread..

I have a Amd 64 3000+
1 g of ram
radeon 9800 256 mb graphics

The problem i am having is with graphical errors when trying to play games.. sometimes movies.. which leave my screen with nice green / pink/ purple lines and boxes all over it.. i am pretty sure the graphics card is okay because its brand new.. and after twiddling with settings and if its in a good mood it works fine.
The games run okay.. theres just bits of crap covering the screen..

Things i have learned

Removing the graphics card drivers resolves this issue..

On ati,s website there is no official ati drivers for 64 bit system?? (is this true?)

If anyone has a similar setup or can recomend anything to solve this or a good unofficial 64 bit driver.. i would be most gratefull!! :)

ps.. im running windows xp home..32 bit.. should i upgrade to 64???

The 64bit they're referring to is XP or 2003 64bit OS. Not a 64 bit processor.
The artifacts could be caused by a bad card, heat, bad memory, motherboard going bad. It's hard to say.

unless you have a 64bit OS, a 64 bit driver is useless.

Radeons are nortorious for problems on Athlon systems. The drivers are unstable. I had to get rid of mine for NVIDIA based cards. Haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for the great replys..

Unfortunatly.. i borrowed a friends radeon 9600 pro. works perfect. but my card still gives his computer the fragments and glitches...

Fried graphics card it is.. and straight out the box as well! :(

I am having the same problem.

Specs:
AMD AthlonXP 3000+
Radeon 9800pro 128mb (1 month old)
Corsair twin-x 2x1gig sticks of RAM
Gigabyte 7N400-L motherboard
300W no name brand PSU

I have tried the following:
Updated the nForce2 chipset drivers, updated the BIOS, updated to CCC 6.3. Also tried Non-CCC 5.11 (Which worked for about 15 minutes but as soon as I went into the display settings the screen went black and had little red tearings on it, had to reboot it)
Virus and spyware scanned (AVGfree, Ad-aware, Spybot S&D)
AGP8x disabled
Aperture increased from 64 to 128 then to 256
Fast-writes disabled
VPU recover disabled
Took out the Audigy2ZS sound card
Took out 1 stick of RAM, therefore only having 1gig of single channel running.
Unplugged the extra HDD and both DVD drives (In case of power issue)
The molex connector was plugged into the 9800pro.
Re-attached the heatsink as it was wobbly.
Changed the AGP to 1.6V as a last resort thing to try.

My 9600pro works fine without a single problem. The 9800pro however only gets to the section of booting which is meant to display the Login screen but the monitor goes into standby as though the PC has been turned off.

It originally failed just after logging into World of Warcraft, the screen went all weird (artifacts I imagine, the g/f was playing it at the time) then had to reboot.

I've got an ATI support ticket...we'll see just how much that helps, lol. (So far they said to do what I have already done ->Update BIOS, chipset, ATI drivers)

The only other thing which I need to try is put a desk fan in front of it and see if it lasts longer. Or try the card in my brothers PC which is running a x850 so therefore would run my 9800pro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey..

After messing about with the radeon 9800/ amd combo for a month now i have came to the conclusion that there should not be any compatibility problems at all..

After trawling countless sites.. doing ati,s technical support staffs nut in for a month. and swapping bits and pieces round in numerous similar setups..

I am now wholly convinced there is no compatibility probs providing you are running a 32 bit version of windows..

Try the graphics card in a friends computer. if it works strip youre pc down to the pro and motherboard and graphics card.. work up from there.. testing as you go..

Sounds like a dodgy card to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back