AMD 4200+ temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I just built my first computer with an AMD Athlon6 X2 4200+ with an A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard. After a while of running with only general use (windows media player music and Firefox), the CPU temp is at 52 C, fan at 3200 rpm, and 2200 MHz. I used the stock CPU fan/heatsink/

Does the temperature sound normal to you?

Thanks so much.

Sounds a little on the high side, especially for idle temps. The max temp for that CPU is 65c and you are up in the red zone (probably in the danger levels at full load).

I'd reseat that heatsink/fan again with some good thermal paste.

It is possible that you are getting faulty temp readings as well. Is that reading from your bios? Make sure your bios is up to date, it could be that as well. I think the latest version is 1015, but you should at least have 1013 to be sure with that dual core CPU.

i have a 4800 and that runs at 40 celcius idle with the stock cooler......don't know exactly, but like the above post, reseating and reapplying a fresh coat of compound might help.

Thanks for the input. I just upgraded my bios - now the idle temperature is 38 degrees. At 50% cpu utilization, it went to 48 degrees. I am not sure if the bios upgrade would be the cause of the lower temperature. This a little more normal, no?

I will reset the heatsink if it goes up again.

That sounds a lot better. Still, I would get yourself up to full load for a few mins to see what your load temps are.

And by the way, I agree with lipsofvenom above. I doubt that the bios upgrade lowered your temps. I think that the bios you were using had flaws in how it reads temps on dual core CPUs (that's my guess).

If cool'n'quiet is running, disable it...

For me it would refuse to spin my fans up to max rpm until the temp was over 60 degrees... even at 55 it would hover in the 2-3000 range...

Turned off cool'nquiet and now the fan spins at full speed the second it gets over 40 degrees, and I never see temps over 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back