AMD 64 3000+ (939-pin) vs INTEL 3.0ghz (775-pin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotALlama

which is faster, and will perform better for the price?, I am buying a new computer, and just wanted to know which one would be better for my perposes. I am going to be playing some games, but not real demanding ones, i will be doing audio editing and movie editing as well

thanks

for audio and video editing i will go with the P4 as the higher clock speed will help, also most of the encoding softwares are optimized for P4. so u can go for the P4. but be careful of the heating issues.

The 3000+ will outperform the 3.0 P4 while running cooler and should be cheaper. Additionally, the 3000+ is 64 bit OS ready, the P4 isn't, and the 939 socket can run the new dual core processors with just a BIOS flash (and a dula core CPU of course). The 775 is neither 64 bit OS capable nor dual core CPU capable. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Merc14 said:
The 3000+ will outperform the 3.0 P4 while running cooler and should be cheaper. Additionally, the 3000+ is 64 bit OS ready, the P4 isn't, and the 939 socket can run the new dual core processors with just a BIOS flash (and a dula core CPU of course). The 775 is neither 64 bit OS capable nor dual core CPU capable. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

to answer ur question check this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

First things first:

Merc14 said:

Merc14, a lot of the information you gave is wrong:

1) There are 3.0ghz p4s that are dual-core
2) There are 3.0ghz p4s that are 64bit
3) They come in the LGA775 package
4) Most 9x5 boards will support dual core with a bios flash

NotALlama: Definately go with the Athlon64. It pretty much smokes the p4, depending on the system setup. The a64 is going to run a lot cooler as well, a whole lot cooler depending on what core you get.

Soul Harvester, I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. Was in a hurry and didn't do my homework I guess LOL

Soul Harvester,
u obviously know wat ur talking bout, so i hope yo cud take da time to help me, u say an AMD Athlon64 wud b the best to run games etc with rit? Is this despite the past problems with fan's overheating and failure with Athlon processor's? (also will ALLmicrosoft products work 100% properly with a AMD Athlon64 3400?? And finally, what about the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition? is this not sumfin that will become beta than the AMD Athlon 64/XP?? Thank-you

Mu11et Man said:
Soul Harvester,
u obviously know wat ur talking bout, so i hope yo cud take da time to help me, u say an AMD Athlon64 wud b the best to run games etc with rit? Is this despite the past problems with fan's overheating and failure with Athlon processor's? (also will ALLmicrosoft products work 100% properly with a AMD Athlon64 3400?? And finally, what about the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition? is this not sumfin that will become beta than the AMD Athlon 64/XP?? Thank-you

Athlons have not been vulnerable to the heat-death in that fashion since the Palomino, which ended at the 2100+. Athlon64s are virtually indestructable when it comes to heat because they can power off far quicker than they can fry. Modern day Athlons have come leaps and bounds from the thermal issues of the past, and in fact it is way more common to have a P4 overheat (especially a prescott) than an Athlon64.

And yes, all Microsoft products will work properly with Athlon64 3400. Windows XP 64 was in fact originally designed for the Athlon64. AMD won a bid vs Intel when Microsoft went to developing drivers and choosing who they would go to market with. In fact, Intel's 64bit technology in desktop processors (NOT their aging, out of date useless Itanium technology) is based upon AMD's.

The P4 Extreme Edition is stil defeated by the Athlon64 FX. I'm not sure about pricing on the higher end of things, though.

Mu11et Man said:
thank-you for this information, it has proved very useful. Can i ask you one thing, this is rather due to your personal taste. Out of the 2 links below, what PC would you choose?? (obviosuly in that price range not out)??

AMD Athlo64::

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5211723707

PENTIUM::

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5207061477&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
If your main purpose is for audio and video editing then get the AMD system. The main reason for that is here.

PS. Avoid AMD chipsets made by VIA as the plagues they are, even held true for Intel chipsets by VIA.

AMD Athlon vs Pentium 4

nein said:
If your main purpose is for audio and video editing then get the AMD system. The main reason for that is here.

If AMD Athlon 64 = audio and video editing (gaming also??)

then What Would A Pentium 4= ............??

Mu11et Man said:
If AMD Athlon 64 = audio and video editing (gaming also??)

then What Would A Pentium 4= ............??
P4s are good for single big tasks such as encoding a single video offline (in non-realtime manner), or most typical benchmarks as they usually benchmarked for "one thing at a time" and "required one data stream at a time".

Alternately, they are also good for dedicated small fragmented processing with dedicated support by programmers (AKA HyperThreading).

However HyperThreading is a hack originated from Distributed Processing therefore is not a general optimization for Symmetric Processing.

That AMD64 is total crap:
Socket 754, SiS 760GX Chipset,
Integrated Mirage 2 Graphics
DIMM slots x 2 DDR400, Max. capacity: 2GB
It's the old type socket 754, SIS make the worst chipsets, integrated graphics is a NONO for games, only 2 memory slots, not dual-channel.
You'll want a socket 939 AMD64 with the latest Venice core.

As to that Pentium PC
Asrock mobo
Integrated Intel 915
Dual PCI-e and AGP
Crap mobo, lousy integrated graphics. Too many controllers on the mobo will give poor performance.

Against both: Ebay.
Buy the components and build your own AMD64.

AMD all the way

AMD has the coding belt now and I would get the 3500 or 3800 if you want low cost power a 3000 will do the job but the 35 and 38 is where its at. microsoft has handed the MS coding belt to AMD just this past quarter and it will be a lone time before Intel sees it again.

I would not even thing about buying an Intel for some time. Here is a like of some of the credits AMD now hold. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543,00.html

They still have not posted most of their awards as they don't seem to be into bragging but there are all kinds of cool little things about AMD that were only MAC or Intel for years.

I just saw some stats a student did with aid of Steam, Satats-Canada and a German and U.S. University. AMD is sitting at about 49% of the total Gaming market, and 30% of the Total Computer Market. The average home PC sales is seeing at 3.2% global grouth in AMD and about a 5% (it was 4.983 or some goofy number like that) drop in Intel Sales, that means what AMD is not picking up MAC is, I have not read that far into the report to know where the sales are going, but I do know Mac sales are up, so I am thinking that is were they are. what was funny was that the sales Drop of one line of Dell Laptops was the same inverce of the groth in an Aser AMD line of laptops.

But it is your money.

I agree with realblackstuff completely. Those are some horrible motherboards. I would sugget you stick to quality name brands, and go for their budget-boards. ASUS, Abit, Gigabyte, Intel, etc.

Soul Harvester said:
I agree with realblackstuff completely. Those are some horrible motherboards. I would sugget you stick to quality name brands, and go for their budget-boards. ASUS, Abit, Gigabyte, Intel, etc.
Actually SiS is the second best after nVIDIA for AMD chipsets in the consumer market.

SiS tried to sue nVIDIA back in 2000 When nVIDIA implemented HyperTransport in the nFORCE series, SiS was the second consumer hardware company with SiS735 chipsets having their own implemeted "Scalable Link Interface", supporting "simultaneous multiple data streams from multiple sources to multiple destinations".

At the time SiS was actually newbie enough to sue nVIDIA for something which nVIDIA's Engineer's had decades worth of expertise and knowledge about. However in the consumer martket, SiS is still second best after nVIDIA hence the main reason they are the choice after nVIDIA as MS partner in the next upcoming XBOX "Scalable Link Interface" media streaming implementation.

with the AMD 939s

With the AMD 939s I would go with the Award winning Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe or the same class Abit or MSI. With the Asus mobo get the Deluxe as the toys you get are so much more then the other boards, and you have the best bang for your buck aswell as 8, yah count them 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 SATA ports on the mobo and I belive upto 4 can be extended to external ports with DB power connetors. I often build with the SLI boards Asus or MSI simply because that way it is there if the person wants to go that way at a later date.

As for you I would use SLI for sure and a 939 I will leave it to you what to buy but the Saus is one of the best Mobos out there PC World has a report on topfive AMD and top five Intel boards of course the Asus A8N SLI Deluxe is ranked as the best but all five listed there are very very good boards and I would look at the five of them read up and see what board you feal is best for what you are doing as all Five are powerhouse board but each one is alitle at one or two things then the others

Here is the Webpage that that report is on:
find.pcworld.com/47782
Read enjoy and have fun building your system you know where to find us if you need help. :D :giddy:

What do you guys think of this mother board with the amd64 3000+

(Sckt939)MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 Chipset SATA Raid PCI-E w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio

and what is SLI exactly could someone explain, im really not up to date on my computer terminology

nein said:
Actually SiS is the second best after nVIDIA for AMD chipsets in the consumer market.

SiS tried to sue nVIDIA back in 2000 When nVIDIA implemented HyperTransport in the nFORCE series, SiS was the second consumer hardware company with SiS735 chipsets having their own implemeted "Scalable Link Interface", supporting "simultaneous multiple data streams from multiple sources to multiple destinations".

At the time SiS was actually newbie enough to sue nVIDIA for something which nVIDIA's Engineer's had decades worth of expertise and knowledge about. However in the consumer martket, SiS is still second best after nVIDIA hence the main reason they are the choice after nVIDIA as MS partner in the next upcoming XBOX "Scalable Link Interface" media streaming implementation.

I wouldn't buy a SiS board if my life depended on it. Every single board I've used with a SiS chipset ( a lot ) has been an underperfoming piece of garbage that wasn't worth the plastic it was soldered onto.

ok, so here is my new computer setup.

Case: X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control
CPU: AMD64 3000+
Motherboard (Sckt939)MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 Chipset SATA Raid PCI-E w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
Memory: 1GB Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader
HDD1: Seagate 120GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache
HDD2: Western Digital 7200RPM ATA
Video Card: ATI RADEON X700 PRO 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
Optical Drive: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

I got this for 850$...Including the 65$ shipping fee

www.buyxg.com

Tell me what you think!

Very nice, very nice. Good stuff all around. With that 3000+ you've left yourself plenty of room for an upgrade to an X2 or an FX a year from now or whenever you decide to upgrade.

NotALlama said:
What do you guys think of this mother board with the amd64 3000+

(Sckt939)MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 Chipset SATA Raid PCI-E w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
An excellent choice you made.

NotALlama said:
and what is SLI exactly could someone explain, im really not up to date on my computer terminology
SLI = "Scalable Link Interface" => Layman explanation version is here. An illustrated example of a common use => SLI implementation.

P.S. If you didn't recognize it yet, ATI SLI graphic solutiion is Crossfire, utilizing DVI which is a Scalable Link Interface.

I am with Soul Harvester ...

I am with Soul Harvester, as I have had no problems with even VIA chips yet I have gong nucken futs working with SiS systemboards. Some goose-necked nerd with a pencile and a TI-86 Plus Silver my say SiS are the best but: from what I have seen in the real world, is that; they are poor all around and never do what some chips that are less in cost do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back