Amd Athlon Xp 2600+ Overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
puke: Hi, I hope someone can help me, I have an Asrock K7S8X mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1 Gb of Ram (PC 2700 , DDR333), and a Geforce fx 5700 le graphics card. I wanted to know if i can overclock the CPU, at present the processor speed in the bios reads, 2083 mhz. CPU host frequency is 166 Mhz and the Dram frequency is set on auto. It can be set to different speeds eg. ddr333 (133 mhz). Any ideas to set me in the right direction, i have overclocked my graphics card using NVIDIA Coolbits, to a speed of 306mhz/514mhz, runs half life 2 like a dream!

The processors multiplier is probably locked but you can bump up the CPU frequency to 400. Most 2500 and 2600's will run that high which will give you an XP 3200. I did it with no problems and no increase in heat. You may also be able to get the RAM up that high too. But check it for heat. If the RAM does run at 400 you may need to put heat spreaders on it. Ive always been able to get 266 RAM to run at 333. You might also want to put RAM heatsinks on the video card RAM . Good luck.

Sounds like you should start bumping your FSB speed up a li'l at a time. You should be able to get near 200 without any special mods. It should at least run well into the 180's. If it won't boot, back it down a few MHz. If it won't start, clear your CMOS, and try again at a lower speed that worked. Then, after you find a stable speed, try playing HL on it for awhile to stress it. If HL is unstable, either back off the FSB some more, or start playing around with bumping up your voltages. There's lots of threads discussing that topic. Remember, don't go for the max right off the bat. Try the 170's first, then the 180's. Once you pass the point where it will boot, you'll have to go back and reset the CMOS and reset all those settings again.

The cpu multiplier on your K7S8X mobo can be set using the jumpers on the mobo. Take a look at the pdf file on your mobo cd.

Regards Howard
santa2.gif

If the CPU has a locked multiplier, setting the onboard jumpers to a different multiplier could probably make the system not post anymore.

Xp 2600

I have a A7V880 board and 2600XP I am now running at 2100. 11.5 182 I think. I am running 3200 ram. I think that my video card is 9200 ATI. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is running rock solid right now.

Ken

@vegasgmc : I've got the following hardware : AXP2500+ with standard cooler, Asus A7V880 mobo, 2 * 512MB DDR400 Samsung, Asus Geforce FX5900. everything's still vanilla flavoured but I would like to oc the CPU to a 3200+. what CPU cooler (not liquid) can I use to cool this CPU sufficiently to oc it to a 3200+? and do I need heat spreaders for my memory?

I OC'd the CPU yesterday and it went up to a 3200+ without any problems, what should the temperature be +/-.

my CPU is running 52 degrees celsius at idle and goes up to 60 degrees celsius under load (HL2 stress test, 3DMark03 etc)

should I consider a different cooler and will I damage my CPU running it with these temps?

thanx

Unless 60C bothers you, I would say leave it as is. As long as there is no instability (crashing, freezing, et cetera), you are quite fine.

I'm getting a HSF cause it's not very stable ATM

Vantec CopperX, my budget is not that good so I'm going the cheap route first, else if it's still overheating I'm gonna save up for a liquid cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back