Amd athlon xp vs. intel p4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... so heres the deal..... i have what i think could be an incorrectly labelled amd athlon xp 2400+..... this runs at ~2.00GHz while a mate's 2600+ only runs at ~ 1.75GHz.
I thought this was a tad weird..... and when one of my friend's parents bought him a brand new pentium 4 3.2GHz he wanted to test how much faster his ran than mine (in MIPS). The results were quite interesting... his was running at about 3400 MIPS, while mine was running at around 5700 MIPS.
These results were intruiging... so i tested it against several other systems, including another p4 3.2GHz. It outperformed systems which are supposed to be half as fast again, by nearly half as fast again.
What is going on? is it something to do with my FSB? the external cpu speed is set at 133MHz in bios.
Can someone advise me on what is happening here? i suspect that my cpu has been incorectly labelled, (if you dont know how this could have happened look in the overclocking amd athlon XP section).

Sounds to me you might of overclocked it some either accident or on porpose becuse out of box its around 1.6-1.8 probbly has something to do with your mulitiplier.. And AMD does about two procress per cycle thats the difference there.

i have not overclocked my processor at all.... it came straight fom where it was built to my house.. and all i did was plug in a few extra bits i didnt buy and it was 2.00GHz as soon as i got it up and running... no bios tweaking or anything...
Im still finding the comparison hard. is my processor actually faster than the others i tested it against?
i dont have any case fans, only the PSU fans and a stock processor fan. I find that the temperature varies considerably just doing simple things life surfin the net and using WMP. some nights it may be 57*c like it was last nite... but 2nite, after being on for the same amount of time and running the same processes, it is only 42*c. what is happening there?
also, what will happen if i change the "external cpu speed" in bios (currently set at 133MHz)?

That is correct.

The 2400+ t-bred runs at 2000mhz, 133mhz FSB (ddr266)

The 2600+ you have is a Sempron, which runs at 1775mhz, 166mhz FSB (ddr333)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back