AMD confirms that Zen 3 consumer chips are arriving this year

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: While AMD has said that Zen 3 is on track to launch this year, the company could have been referring only to its Epyc data center chips, with the consumer processors not arriving until 2021. Now, team red has confirmed that Zen 3 for consumers will launch within the next five months.

Back in June, AMD refuted rumors that Zen 3 would be delayed into next year. Rather than being a Covid-19 issue, it was claimed that Ryzen 3000's success meant AMD didn't want to impact sales of a top-selling product. The arrival of the admittedly underwhelming Ryzen 3000XT CPUs also suggested that the next-gen desktop chips would launch in 2021. AMD, however, denied it, calling the rumor "inaccurate."

Earlier this month, AMD boss Dr. Lisa Su reiterated that Zen 3 is on track to release later this year, adding that the architecture is "looking great in the labs." But the company has always avoided specifying whether it's talking about the consumer or the enterprise chips—or both. Its roadmap already confirmed that the Zen 3-based Epyc Milan data center chips are coming in 2020, causing concern among PC fans eager to upgrade.

But in a blog post from Rick Bergman, AMD's executive vice president of Computing and Graphics confirms that the first Zen 3 client (consumer) CPUs are launching this year.

"So, what's next for AMD in the PC space? Well, I cannot share too much, but I can say our high-performance journey continues with our first "Zen 3" Client processor on-track to launch later this year. I will wrap by saying you haven't seen the best of us yet…," reads the post.

Bergman never specified when the Zen 3 consumer chips would arrive, or whether the Ryzen 4000 (Vermeer) desktop processors would get here first, rather than their laptop equivalents. Either way, it looks almost certain that we'll be able to buy the new AMD chips for our builds sooner rather than later.

Permalink to story.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Specifications

Waiting for this to arrive. A 3700X will hold me over until Vermeer is released.
I’m excited that they are addressing the latency of the chiplet design by adding the unified cache.

I’ve got Intel builds that perform well while I tweak my AMD build.
Was going to wait for Intel but tired of the same high watt/brute force approach and extra latency/cores.

I'm on X570 and never hear the chipset fan not a big deal to be honest.
I don‘t think it should be a problem either, especially on models where the fan only turns on when needed.

And, there are now boards for that other CPU manufacturer that have multiple small fans to cool the VRM, but you rarely hear anyone mention this oddly enough. For X570 this was made out to be a huge issue.

Still, in terms of fans, the less are needed, the better imho.

So tired of reading “leaks” but just found out my uAtx X570 psuedo server board will be here within 3 weeks.
Im a pro audio user. Lowest latency highest single core performance and low watts wins.
Sorry Intel.
Great time for 16 years.
You got smoked because you fell asleep at the wheel.

Back