AMD CPU problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cslord15

I recently bought an AMD Athlon XP 2400 for my computer. Although the specs on the CPU say that it runs at 2.0 GHz, mine only seems to be running at 1.9 (it says so in tests like dxdiag, 3DMark, and in the BIOS). I know it isnt that big a loss but is there some way to fix it? (The clock multipliers on my mobo are 133/133.)

2.0 Ghz is more of a marketing gimmick than a reflection of the actual speed of your processor. If you do the math, your CPU multiplier should be 15 and your FSB should be 133.

133Mhz x 15 = 1995Mhz

rounded up, this is 2.0Ghz. If this bugs you so much your sanity is breaking, you can try bumping up the FSB to 134, which should give you 2010Mhz. But thats only if your system is capable of overclocking and can handle it.

Technically, it is ~133.333Mhz, and comes out to ~1999.9995Mhz actual clock speed. The fraction of a clock cycle is rounded, as mentioned above, but MOST programs should see it as 2.0Ghz anyways. DXDIAG will see a CPU running at 2267Mhz as 2.3Ghz.

If your BIOS does not allow you to adjust FSB as mentioned above, but does have an option for "system acceleration mode", you can enable that for a small FSB boost. Most ASUS boards have some form of this. Also, disabling or enabling "Spread Clock Spectrum" can result in different clock speed reporting. Try that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back