AMD CPUs v Intel's

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Conqueror

I just have a quick question, I know Intel and AMD used to have a different unit for the gigahertz (if you don't understand I mean and intel 3.2 ghz was equal to a amd athlon 64 3200+ 2.2 ghz, thats right isn't it?) Anyways I was wondering if they are equal now that dual cores came out and do you guys in the core 2 duo is better or the amd X2, thats overall. I ahve been looking to get a laptop, so I was just wanted to know if a mobile cpu's ghz is greater than a "regular" cpu and whats the big difference with mobile cpus. Thanks a lot

This comparison is meaningless nowadays. While Older AMD athlon XP series numbering systems were used as comparatives to intel, it is not true with the Athlon 64 FX or Athlon X2 series processors. The number in the CPU is simply a model #.

Core 2 duo is by far a better CPU than the AMD series. But you are comparing apples and oranges. For pure speed, Intel has the advantage (usually) in the athlon 64/ x2 / fx to core2 duo matchups. But there are many other things that come into play such as motherboard archtecture L2/L3 memory on the CPU and FSB handling of which intel and AMD greatly differ in design. There are some cases where AMD comes out ahead.

Mobile processors are designed to be unlocked and to step down to save energy and reduce heat output automatically. They also tend to have lower voltage usage.

In laptops, intel definately has a strong edge. Get a core 2 duo. Stay away from celerons, P4s, and core duos. these are low end budget processors. On the AMD side stay away from semprons, athlon XP (outdated) series.

For a real CPU comparison, go to tomshardware.com and checkout their CPU charts.

Centrino - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5250 (1.5 GHz)
Centrino - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5300 (1.73 GHz)
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5500 ( 1.66 GHz)
These are the best performing laptop processors. The main disadvanage of Amd is powerconsumption, Less battery back up and Heat.
Go for minimum 800Mhz FSB config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back