AMD more expensive than Intel clock for clock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Noticed the article here:

http://www.slcentral.com/c/agurusworld/30/

Most people reading this know that an Athlon 2000+ CPU is "only" running at 1667 MHz, but they are accepting of the PR (performance rating) number of 2000 given to the CPU because in nearly every benchmark, the 2000+ CPU out benchmarks a Pentium 4 2 GHz.

For those who were not aware that a 2000+ only runs at 1667 MHz, a bit of a surprise comes when they're told by a benchmark, CPUID or diagnostic program that their CPU was not running at 2 GHz!

I'll get such a phone call or email about four times a day and when they find out that the CPU is in fact only a 1667 MHz, they're often upset, because an Intel Pentium 4 at 1.7 GHz is 33 MHz faster and costs $80 less! Never mind that in real world performance it's actually slower.

While he's right on some stuff i.e. the 2000+ being slower MHz wise, performance doesn't seem to be so bad... Hmmm...

I think we all know this already...

$199 for AMD XP 2000+
$292 for P4 2.0Ghz 478

I know which one I would be buying.

Yes, I get what you mean. Nearly all the time, the AMD processors are compared to Intel by their speed and not clock speed; which is obviously the correct thing to do as Mhz is not the correct way of determing which is faster.

The article only presents another way of looking at the pricing from the Mhz point of view.

heh, that site has concentrated in changing designs over the last year or so, instead of trying to smack up some new content, good for them ;)

Originally posted by 3DS Julio
heh, that site has concentrated in changing designs over the last year or so, instead of trying to smack up some new content, good for them ;)

One whole year just to redesign? HEh... Hopefully they'll be concentrating on new content this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back