AMD new Socket m2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordxanthrax

is anyone else a little steamed about this? When AMD was all about "socket compatibility" and now they go and announce this. First I have to get a new motherboard to get PCI-e, now I have to get a new one for a new socket, AND buy DDR2 memory, ugh, the pockets are empty again.

you don't even have an AMD, your sig has your stats and you got an intel... :haha:

why do you have to upgrade? technology always has new releases, just depends on how rich and how much you are willing to upgrade for the latest, or best....

pkroks said:
you don't even have an AMD, your sig has your stats and you got an intel... :haha:

why do you have to upgrade? technology always has new releases, just depends on how rich and how much you are willing to upgrade for the latest, or best....

Home computer :knock: the one i use at school has an amd processor. Here's the thing, it just makes me angry, because the mobo i bought for it has pci-e, but then i read that amd is going to use ddr2. which is another 190 bucks for 2GB. It's just an annoyance when my timing is horrible with things like this. I only have a a64 +3000, so, a new processor wouldn't hurt it at all.

Socket-939 will be available with newer CPUs all through 2006 so where's the problem ?

Here is my question to you...is this really a big shocker? The technology industry is always like this. I know it can hurt the wallet, but i really dont think it is going to change. I was rading a Maxium PC from a few months ago..it listed the x800 pro as the best card on the market..now its available for 200 bucks, and will get whooped by the latest and greatest.

Sean

This is a good thing. The 939 socket CPU's are coming down in price rapidly. Get yourself a nice 4000+ in a couple of months for $350. You'll be golden for two years with that processor.

Spade, I believe his main complaint was the lack of upgrade possibilities with the Socket-939 which is a bit overdone. Socket-754 had a very short lifespan (it has a bit of fresh life with the Turion which can work on certain s754 boards), but the Socket-939 lifetime isn't too bad.

It's still not quite the same as the Socket-A days but it manages. M2 promises the use of DDR-II & that's about all it brings that the Socket-939 doesn't have. Nothing worth holding your breath for.

Thanks for clearing things up for me Didou. AS im sure you know, AMDs confuse me :stickout:

At least you [AMD] get an actual socket change. All intel does is change the chipset, which can easily lead people to think that, because a CPU will physically fit into a socket means it will work, which is often not the case. (ex. 915 chipset and dual core.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back