AMD Opteron vs AMD 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcothy

Got a comparative question...how does the Opteron stack up in comparison to the 64 model?

I read through AMD's website, but sometimes its hard to read through the marketing hype speak.

Would this be a good chipset for a gaming rig? Or is it strictly for a Server...

Thanks.

The Opteron is primarily a server processor in that is designed for 1-way, 2-way 4-way and AFAIK 8-way configurations (but there is no reason why you could not use it for other purposes).

The main problem now, is that the socket that the opteron uses (Socket 940) is now no longer used in the mainstream (i.e. desktop market) and so the motherboards will cost quite a bit, and the technology may lag behind the desktop market and/or certain features e.g. SLi graphics will probably not be available on these boards.

With regards to the Athlon 64 platform, if you are considering an Athlon 64, the best choice is to wait until after christmas and get a Socket 939 PCI Express Board

Yeah-was my current plan right now. Never fully understood the Opteron Processor though...thanks...

Can't wait for SLI... :hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back