AMD PCI Express due early in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Q1 2005 will be the arrival time for PCI Express on the Athlon64 family, it has been revealed. Of course, this is reliant on support from other manufacturers, especially the likes of ATI and Nvidia.

PCI-Express (formerly 3GIO or 3rd Generation I/O) is the name which has been dubbed by PCI-SIG, the committee responsible for overseeing the PCI interface standard. It advances computer I/O in ways that were long overdue, and will make it possible for several graphics cards to be used in tandem in "SLI" mode, to provide even greater graphics performance, opening the door to a new generation of games. The takeup of this technology by AMD is very welcome, and we look forward to seeing PCI Express compatible motherboards for AMD chips very soon.

Well that officially means no new PC this year for me :( Guess I'll have to try and play HL2 on my Tbird 1.3ghz and Radeon 8500. I'll just have more time to put money aside for it or I'll buy my big TV first instead ;)

You'll be fine. Wait til next year when Call of Duty 2 and the new Wolfenstein (both based on the Doom 3 engine) come out. Then it's definitely time for a new PC!

I still thinks that BTX is a bunch of bull. I really don't see the difference, well there's a small difference. Anyways, I was planning to go AMD 64/PCI-Express for Christmas but now it will wait. The price of video cards will just be lower ;)

Originally posted by RedRooster
I still thinks that BTX is a bunch of bull. I really don't see the difference, well there's a small difference. Anyways, I was planning to go AMD 64/PCI-Express for Christmas but now it will wait. The price of video cards will just be lower ;)

I had similar hopes - but to boost my rig for HL2 & DOOM3 i was planning on getting a 6800GT when the 6600's and x700's appear(hopefully lowering its price). I could then drop this 6800 into a PCI/64 board (Nforce 4 maybe) in new year.

Any thoughts

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
I can't wait to get rid of all of my x86 computers, no matter what graphics cards & interfaces are coming.
And replace them with ... ?

Do I understand this correctly, this will be the ONLY card slot (replaceing AGP AND PCI)?

Yes, however most boards will keep "legacy" PCI and AGP slots for many years (remember the old ISA slot, it was not removed untill sometime 99-200 but PCI got introduced 1993...

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
I can't wait to get rid of all of my x86 computers, no matter what graphics cards & interfaces are coming.

Originally posted by Nic
And replace them with ... ?

I think Mictlantecuhtli meant to say "I can't wait to get rid of all of my [16-bit] x86 computers...." (read: i286s) ... skip the 32-bit x86s and just jump to the 64s *L* ... hehehe ... j/k

FINALLY!!! Now I can plan for a new vc, proc, mobo & RAM purchase to replace this RADEON 9800Pro 256MB, AthyXP 2400+ (o/c'd to 2.3GHz w/ stock AMD HSF), A7N8X Deluxe Rev2 / Kingston KHX3200AK2/1G.

Ahhhh, the never-ending upgrading frenzy will begin yet again ... soon, I hope. :-D

im kinda upset... i wish it still did come out this year... i was hoping christmas as well :(

maybe ill get a laptop with centrino...

In any case ddr2 vendorsr are out of their minds right now! have any of you seen the prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jeez

Waiting...

I am still expecting it to b delayed. Even wen it comes out there will be probs and itul be overpriced! Its also supossed to support SATA II eerrrrrrr great i suppose?

non stop processors

Don't get too comfortable with AMD 64 processors, in the first half of 2005 there will be other (better) AMD processors that do not belong to the 64 family potentially making our comps too slow to carry out gaming tasks in the future. But then again it could be worse, we might have bought pentium 4 processors.

Roll up, Roll up, for the high clock speed Pentium scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back