AMD PSU in a P4 comp??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughJass

I want to put a more powerfull PSU in my compter and i found one i got lying around,

on the side it has a AMD logo on it though... i have had a look at it and it looks the same and has the same connectors as on my current PSU,

I have a P4 in there at the moment and i wanted to know if i put the PSU with a AMD logo on the side in with the P4 mobo and CPU, would it fry?

thanks

I also noticed something else,

On the AMD one it says (AMD PSU being 350Watts)
350W TOTAL POWER ON+3.3V & +5V is 145W

On my current one (Current PSU being 300Watts)
+5V & +3.3V TOTAL OUTPUT 160W

i thought this is weird as the supposably higher power rated PSU doesn't have as such high TOTAL OUTPUT as my current one

whats up with that?

That`s just showing the output on the 3.3 and 5volt rails and isn`t anything to be overly concerned about. It`s not the total output of the psu, just on those rails. The rest of the output is on the 12volt rail.

It`s the output on the 12volt rail that`s the really important bit, especially the output in amps.

Having said all that, cheap psu`s can be a false economy as if they fail, they have a tendency to take other components with them.

Personally, I recommend Antec psu`s of around 400 to 450 watts.

Regards Howard :)

which reminds me of the other thread where someone went "Both (including the Antec) PSUs are crap".

I personally use Antec. Basically, an easy way to tell a good PSU from a crap one is by looking into it. Crap PSUs usually look empty inside.... Which would also mean crap PSUs are light while good ones generally tend to weigh more.

Not always true, and not always easy to peer into a PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back