AMD says Hammer future depends on Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
AMD says: "If We Were to Lose Microsoft Corporation’s Support for Our Products or Its Logo License, Our Ability to Market Our Processors May be Materially Adversely Affected. Our ability to innovate beyond the x86 instruction set controlled by Intel depends on support from Microsoft in its operating systems. If Microsoft does not provide support in its operating systems for our x86 instruction sets, including our x86-64 Hammer technology that will be introduced with our eighth-generation AMD Athlon and AMD Opteron processors, independent software providers may forego designing their software applications to take advantage of our innovations.

Full scoop over at The Inquirer

What OS is the most used for servers ? I would've bet on UNIX based OSes instead of any version of Windows.:blackeye:

In a worst case scenario, at least the Hammer-generation CPUs can still run 32bit code very fast.:D

PS. The comments system seems cool, nice going Julio.:grinthumb

I remember reading abut two years ago that Windows NT server was by far the most popular OS for webservers. I would imagine it is Windows 2000 server now.

I remember Sun and Linux trailing behind that, and then lesser used OSes underneath them. Things may hvae changed though, as linux has become more mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back