AMD set up good for Encoding movies? or should i get intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

truflip

This set up is for my gf... she kinda need a CPU upgrade.. most of the time she'll be doing homework on it lol. I dont wanna get her a celeron, a $150 dual core chip sounds too good to resist, so i might as well.. afterall, she'll prolly be doing a LOT of movie encoding and stuff like that.. definitely no games.. unless a new tomb raider comes out any time sooon...

So heres the breakdown..

Intel Set up:
$150 - Intel Pentium D 2.66GHZ Dual Core CPU
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17710&promoid=1047

$105 - Asus P5P800SE Motherboard (AGP Only)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17558

Total: $289 ($255 + $15 shipping + 7%tax)

I also have an AMD set up for about the same price.. I figured If I OC'ed her CPU to say.. 2.4ghz which isnt that hard to do with these chips... shed prolly get jus as much encoding power as the Intel above.. but with only a single core.. not really sure. I have mine OC'ed to 2.4 n handles pretty well when encoding movies. also, I like this set up too cuz I can have room for expandability (PCIe mainly) but then there are nice AGP cards she can get whenever a new tomb raider comes out haha

AMD Set up:
$159 - Athlon 64 3200+ 1.8ghz
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14416&promoid=1047

$86 - ASRock 939Dual Sata2 Motherboard (AGP & PCIe)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16165&promoid=1047

Total: $283.55 ($245 + $20 shipping + 7% tax)

Anyway, Im leaning towards the Intel. I'm buying this for her and im an AMD fanboy, but the intel looks like a sweet deal esp for her needs.. but then again, your feedback is always appreciated and very helpful. thanks in advance!

CANADIAN PRICE, no USD

I would recommend

Go with the Pentium D. Single core is not even close to as fast. (I recently upgraded to the 830 (3GHZ Pentium D) and I noticed a huge, huge speed increase. But, unfortunatly, my big games, like Counter Strike, and BF2, can only use one core. But most of the big mainsteam programs used for converting audio/video can take advantage of two cores, and have a fairly large speed increase.

DonNagual said:
hehe.. she finished the game already :p I actually bought a 7600GT just to play that game and a couple others. She came over n played it here half the time since her 9600Pro cant handle it too well.. she likes the eye candy. hahaha shes so cute.. she screams while playin =S

anyway, i was googling around about the P5P800SE + D805 combo.. seems like I can get the CPU up to 3ghz no problem. thing is I have 2x512MB kingston value ram. Will they cap my CPU OC? Im sure shes happy with 2.66ghz but heck if this thing can do 3ghz no problem im gonna set it at that speed =D

I got an extra 500mhz (from each core) and I just have some good ole' value select so I see no problem.

Best of luck with purches and have fun gamming.

CrossFire851 said:
I wouldn't say "required", but if you are even thinking about overclocking then it is.
Are you sure? I know when when I upgraded to my Pentium D, I needed DDR2. That might have just been the motherboard, but I thought I read somewhere that Intel uses DDR2 to make up for the lack of something in the new CPU's.

the P5P800SE runs DDR and Pentium Ds.. so i dont think DDR2 is a must. anyway she already has a gig of KVRs so i dont wanna have to get another set of DDR2..

Intel's netburst has always been good at encoding, and dual core is a plus. The 930's are getting cheap too. Anandtech's AM2 review showed the 965 beat the FX-62 is some encoding benchmarks. The 965 system even used one watt less at load.:eek:

Canadian said:
Go with the Pentium D. Single core is not even close to as fast. (I recently upgraded to the 830 (3GHZ Pentium D) and I noticed a huge, huge speed increase. But, unfortunatly, my big games, like Counter Strike, and BF2, can only use one core. But most of the big mainsteam programs used for converting audio/video can take advantage of two cores, and have a fairly large speed increase.

I read that the Pentium D is not even a fast when it comes to gaming. I'd go with an AMD 64 X2 or AMD 64 FX-60 . Those are considerable faster processors than the Pentium D's and They are 64 bit for 64 Bit Linux and Win Vista

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=604489
July 23 the 805 will be less than $100 USD, and a E6300 hit the market at well under $200. AMD will have to react sometime, somehow. It's just a bad time to build a rig knowing the market is bound to change so much in the next few months. They have nothing at all to pit price-to-price with either one, and it gets worse with the higher up models.

I have a 939Dual-SATA2 and 3200+(2GHz), and a P5P800SE as well, but no dual cores yet. I must say the Asus is more solid and less problematic. But remember, I don't run stock.

I get a E6700 for my tenth anniversary! Too bad I need mobo, ram, and video card for it too.

des1fool said:
I read that the Pentium D is not even a fast when it comes to gaming. I'd go with an AMD 64 X2 or AMD 64 FX-60 . Those are considerable faster processors than the Pentium D's and They are 64 bit for 64 Bit Linux and Win Vista
Acually, its great for gaming, on games that support 2 core CPU's. Even on other games, its above average. My Pentium D was cheap, and all the newer Intel CPU's are 64 bit. And if you want one of the best CPU's per price ratio, get a Pentium D 805, very cheap, and can be easly overclocked to 4.1 GHZ, outperforming the Extreme Edition, and being tied with the top of the line AMD CPU's. Click here for the stats on the 805

yea i dont think that guy knew his facts.. or maybe hes an AMD fanboy lol.. i liked his suggestions.. but i cant afford either of them so no.. Pentium D is my choice :D already ordered it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back