AMD vs Intel for next computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepMartin

This is the computer i have now
CPU:p4 2.4 GHz Socket 478
Motherboard:pCChips M925G V9.1B
Memory:2GB DDR 266
Videocard:BFG GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DRR2 (AGPx4)
Hard Disk(s):80 GB
Other drives:Sony 20X DVD+/-R

This thing can still do everything i need from it (lightwave, photoshop ect.)
but when it comes to games i comes up short because of my cpu and agp (which can only run at 4x instead of 8x cuz of the stupid mobo)
The main issue on this comp is the mobo restricting me to get bettter upgrades, i can probly get a better one and be able to upgrade my p4 to an HT and higher ram speeds and a overclocking-able mobo and bla bla bla
if i change the mobo to something better then i will also have to buy new ram and keep on exchanging the never ending circle of upgrading
So i realized its better to start fresh and new (while keeping this comp for a back up or for my dad whatever)
Now the LGA 775 is very tempting since i can put the latest intel core on it (therefore future upgrades available) and the PCIx16 with sli mobos are also avaliable avoiding getting stuck like i am with my system

lets get to the point i hear something about the Cache L3 that AMDs have for handling ram faster and also the 3core or the "true" 4core coming out (as amd said once since the intel quad core are 2 duals connected by a bridge ergo its not a true interactive quad core)

can i save money and gain performance by changing to AMD?

so i wanna hear opinions why amd or why Intel i guess
i know its a very political question but AMD has to have something that intel doesn't to still be competing

...but AMD has to have something that intel doesn't to still be competing

They're cheaper and techs like them, because they are easier to over clock
But Intel is better (there's the political war emerging) and dearer

If I was rich, it would be Intel® Core™2 Extreme quad-core processor.
Any rich people out there, who could give me one !
Here's one for $1900

IMO, you needn't worry about upgrading everything at one go. You could get this motherboard. It'll allow you to use all your current components, and then upgrade part by part, since it supports all the Intel LGA775 CPUs upto the Core 2 Duo line (quad cores are not supported) and also supports DDR & DDR2 RAM, besides also supporting AGP and PCI-E video cards. That's a lot of support! ;)
In any case, it should be an excellent upgrade for you and it's inexpensive too, being under $70 with shipping. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Didn't mean to offend you. Just thought you were giving wrong information about the 775DUAL-VSTA, that's all.

Both 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 and 775DUAL-VSTA are great mobos

thank you guys so so so much!
it makes me so happy i can still use my old parts that i bought with my hard working money (2gbs of ram was 180 and the vcard was 150)

its amazing to hear about this simple upgrade that lets me have the latest cpu (later on worry about the other upgrades such as ram and hhd)
if i get this mobo i will also have to get the cpu since mine is 478 i dont think its compatible with the 775 lol

now i really like the 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 since i can get the quad and/or dual plus the SATA 3.0 (the 775DUAL-VSTA has only SATA1.5 gbs) and then some day get a bigger hhd (im just using 28.4gbs of mine 80gb hhd so its not that needed)

Now the next question is Can my PSU Ultra Xconnect 400W (100 percent efficiency supposedly) hold up to the mobo with the dual-core? (i think so but ill probably need a bigger one if i upgrade the AGP Vcard to a PCIx16 Vcard (correct me if i'm wrong please)

i had the same question like u...i was on a budget and thought about AMD..and it seem to be easier to build...but after deep consideration and everyone's comments...i'm waiting and saving some money and looking for good deals for an Intel...it might cost 200 bucks more for two similar systems...but Intel will be more worth it for the long run...

DeepMartin said:
Both 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 and 775DUAL-VSTA are great mobos

thank you guys so so so much!
it makes me so happy i can still use my old parts that i bought with my hard working money (2gbs of ram was 180 and the vcard was 150)
Now the next question is Can my PSU Ultra Xconnect 400W (100 percent efficiency supposedly) hold up to the mobo with the dual-core? (i think so but ill probably need a bigger one if i upgrade the AGP Vcard to a PCIx16 Vcard (correct me if i'm wrong please)
The PSU will probably work, I'm running a C2D 6400 with an 8800GTS 320 video card with a couple hard drives, 2 burners, ect. My watt usage is 245W under heavy gaming load. With a quad that will bump up some I think, although they are probably more efficient than my 6400... And you likely won't be running as hot of a video card. So I think you will be fine with your 400W. There are several people on the forums that will probably tell you you need a 600W or better but I don't think so based on my expierence.

One thing to note though, while those boards are good for people like you (and me a year and a half ago) they are still 'budget' and 'transitional' boards. At least on the 775Dual VSTA board in order to have AGP and PCIe they had to compromise, and cut the PCIe speed. You won't get 16x, its a 16x slot I believe, but it only runs at 8x. This probably won't be an issue unless you get a card as fast or faster than an 8800. Just something to consider if you are thinking about hardcore gaming.

K now i have to think about the future, while getting a cpu with the 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 mobo and then some day get a better mobo when my ram gets small (i barely use 500mbs of the 2gbs for now)

>should I get an e6600 or a q6600 (50 bucks difference)?

their both already "old"
and both 2.4ghz stock (quad should do better with lightwave since u can render with 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 threads*i think its called*)

Definitely the Q6600. Than overclock it past 3GHz;) . I'm waiting for Intels Q9450 before I jump ship from my X2 5000+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back