AMD VS. Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

Hi everyone! I was looking at processors this week and I am a little confused.

1. What is duel-core?
2. Why does everyone say to get an AMD when Intel is faster?

I am more wondering about #2, The fastest AMD is at least 1ghz slower then an Celeron D. Why cant I get the Celeron? Everyone I talk to seems to say dont get the Celeron.

Thanks for any help!

--Daniel L

Older Intel Processors (Pentium series and Celeron series) were designed to do less per clock cycle but to have a faster clock speed. Newer Intel processors (Core 2) and all AMD processors are designed to do more operations per clock cycle and therefore they have the same performance of much higher clocked Pentiums or Celerons. For AMDs, don't look at the clock speed. Look at the PR rating on the model (i.e. Athlon 64 X2 5000+) The PR rating is in bold.

Dual Core means that a processor has 2 physical processing cores inbedded into one package. Basically it is like having 2 processors in your computer. All new processors are Dual Core.

Celerons are really terrible because they have a small amount of L2 cache. Basically Celerons are Pentium 4s that failed the factory testing and were thus "crippled" and reduced down to Celerons. Don't buy these unless you are on a VERY tight budget.

Actually, your current info about AMD vs Intel is a bit outdated, going back to before Core 2 Duos were released.

First of all, a dual-core processor is a "two-in-one" CPU, where there are two processing cores in one package. This provides two execution cores for extra speed and insane multitasking.

Not too long ago, most PC enthusiasts and gamers would prefer AMD over Intel because they are more powerful. Intel developed just by increasing their clock speeds over time, whereas AMD developed by utilizing new technologies to attract power-hungry PC builders. Intel is cheaper and "faster" in clock speed, which is why many poeple get a "good ol' Pentium 4". But AMD pretty much controlled the gaming crowd back then.

But then, something happened: Intel dished out their new Core 2 Duo, which is by far "the best" processor, arguably better than an AMD. If you are looking for processors, a Core 2 Duo should be on the top of your list of choices.

There are many reasons why people would discourage you from getting a Celeron. For starters, it's a Celeron! They are on an even lower level than a Pentium 4, and they are one of the lowest family of CPUs released by Intel. They are not dual-core, and dual-cores are the only CPUs that should be purchased nowadays. It's cheap and has a high clock speed, but that does not mean it's "good". The performance of a CPU cannot be determined from just looking at the speed of it, there are many other variables. For example, the Celeron is a bad choice because its models only have 256KB/512KB of L2 Cache.

So to sum up, if you go shopping for a processor around this time, it should be Dual-Core, and maybe a Core 2 Duo.

Hope I helped! :)

1. What is duel-core?
2. Why does everyone say to get an AMD when Intel is faster?

1. Duo Core is what MetalX said abouting having 2 processors in one package
2. AMD & Intel are really match in a fight for better processors, AMD has cheaper prices and alot of people use them because their processors are quite good but Intel is releasing newer processors every year and they seem to get better and better but the prices get higher or lower...

If you want to play games on a budget a AM2 ( AMD ) system will be the best choice but if money isnt a matter then get a Intel Duo Core system which is like 3x more in price then a AM2

Hope I helped :)

actually prices are pretty much the same for both. And with Intel beating AMD (at the moment) for performance, Intel is the way to go. Gamers tend to like AMD. Personally I also like AMD, but if I were building a system today right now I would go with intel.

1: Dual-core is a single processor with two cores which run simultaneously (spelling?). It can run multiple threads using each core, etc.

Dual-Core Processors:
-Intel Pentium D
-Intel Core Duo
-Intel Core 2 Duo
-AMD FX series (not FX-50 or less)
-AMD X2
-AMD Turion X2

2: AMD runs more efficiently at lower clock speeds. Intel's Core 2 Duo is the best on the market so most people are going to be getting those processors instead of AMD.

Yeah well AMD is still better because if your budget is low then AM2 systems are great because they are quite cheap to build

Duo Core is pretty exspensive at the moment but they are worth it because like you said they can Thread more each core & all that stuff

The only AMD I can actually reccommend someone buying is a single core, if you want dual core go for Core 2. And Core 2 is the most efficient processor out there FYI.

And an intel system costs 3x as much, are you on crack? Anything a 4200+ and higher will equal processor cost to a simalarly priced Core 2 Duo, and will be MUCH better and will overclock MUCH more.

As though you would know about overclocking Core 2s F1N3ST :) Lol your mobo limits you to... what 2.4GHz? lol but yea, you're right... who said Intel costs 3x more??? That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard :)

Lol I said that Metal, I exagerate ( spelled right? ) alot because im too lazy to go and actualy look up the prices and add them up ;)

there are even quad core processors out there now (4 in 1). Both Intel and AMD are putting them out. At the moment, Intel has the edge.... but this is a neck and neck race all the time. Each tends to outdo each other every few years or so.

F1N3ST said:
And an intel system costs 3x as much, are you on crack?
I suggest you watch your tone on these forums. If you can't talk without resorting to such low remarks, you'll find yourself in trouble faster than you think.

F1N3ST said:
The only AMD I can actually reccommend someone buying is a single core, if you want dual core go for Core 2. And Core 2 is the most efficient processor out there FYI.

And an intel system costs 3x as much, are you on crack? Anything a 4200+ and higher will equal processor cost to a simalarly priced Core 2 Duo, and will be MUCH better and will overclock MUCH more.
I can only recommend AMD at this moment if building a budget system. If going for performance, Intel has the lead. (for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back