Amd X2 4200+ ... bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello,

I am in need of some advice from the techies.

My friend has offered me his old mobo, cpu and ram. Which is a 4200+ X2, 2gb Crucail mem, and a Abit mb (tis a good one, supports SLI).

But, I was wondering, say if I put a decent gfx card in it like 2 x 6800s or a 7600gt would there be a bottleneck? Decent gaming pc do you think for the mo?

My current pc is:
Amd64 3400+,
1.5gb Crucial (PC3200, not dual channel),
6800GT AGP,

Thanks guys! Any help / advice is appriciated.

Alex.

P.S:

I will be doing a proper upgrade in about 6 months, but do you think this will do? (for now)

what slot is it for the graphics card on the mobo agp pci or pci-e? If iots pci-e then thats good because soon they will all be pci-e and i think its better.... yes it would do you for now .. if it was a pci-e slot i would say get an ati x1950 pro graphics card i have one my self and the graphics are so crisp and smooth this the one i got > http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-113-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=404

Soon ill be upgrading and ill be getting a Ati hd 2900 dx10 compatible

You wouldnt notice a bottleneck at all, I say go sli with a higher end 7 series card, you wont regret that. it would perform better than that single ati card.

Btw Jase, are you an ati fanboy?

sli will only work on the nvidia, although I do think with only one video card the board would work fine.

You also have to remember that SLI is only for high resolution gaming. If you are going to use a flat panel with a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 for example then SLI id totally pointless.

One powerful card such as a, say, 8800GTS, would be better than having two slower cards in SLI. Power and heat requirements make SLI only an option for people gaming at resolutions above 1600x1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back