AMD X2 and Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.

swker98

When are these guys commin out, and witch is better, I heard AMD is goining to be better, but when are they commin out whats the best prefoumance to price ratio intel or amd.

I dispise Dual Cores

I still fail to see the point of buying a dual core, unless maybe you do alot of mulit-tasking...I watch movies and play games, and i will not buy into them untill gmaes are multi-threaded. I have a question though, will they still produce single core CPUs? Or has dual core become a standrad for future CPUs?

Sean

Don't you think it's time to start reading up on this material?

Your remark 'I dispise Dual Cores' shows an incredible lack of knowledge, as well as a very high immaturity (and bad spelling to boot).

ripken204 said:
the x2's pretty much kill the intels and are a much better price
The AMD Dual-Core parts cost a lot more because it is much better suited for server oriented tasks & if a consumer insists on buying one he will pay a premium. If you take an Athlon64 of a certain spec (speed, cache, etc.), its selling price is pultiplied by 1.5 to get the price of the dual-core variant.

The Pentium-D on the other hands sells for the same price as a Pentium-4 clocked at the same speed. Intel has money & fabrication power to waste. It's almost doing a CPU dumping on the market with the Pentium-D.

wow thaks f ALL THE REPLYS, I WAS ASKING BECAUSE IM GONNA BEUILD A PC IN THE SUMMER MAYBE ( MY FIRST BUILD) AND ARE KIND OF ON A 1200 USD BUDGET, AMD DOES SEEM KIND OF EXPENCIVE RIGHT NOW BUT MAYBE THE PRICES WILL COME DOWN, a little, and do the motherboards that are socket 939 nee a bios update or will they alredy have the latest bios, so it can support the X2

im sorry for the caps i didnt notice it until 2 late

You will need an bios update to run the athlon X2 but i am sure future motherboards will already have the bios updated in them.

The athlon dual core solution really kills intel's solution but there is a huge price difference between the two with the athlon dual cores starting at 500 dollars more or less. At 1200 dollar budget it will be almost impossible to get one of these without going way over budget unless you want a simple computer running athlon dual cores.

thanks for the reply what i was thinkig was the price wouls pribibly come down to about 450 by the ned of the summer

im thinking about builbd my own system that would consist of

AMD X2 4200 or PD 830

1GB of kingston

80gb hdd

x600 or 700 pro

Antic tru power 480

Ausus, abit, or gigibite mobo whitch evers got a good revew

you would you say that, i thin a 6600gt is about equal to a x700

how much woulds u say all of that would cost 1500?

swker98 said:
wow thaks f ALL THE REPLYS, I WAS ASKING BECAUSE IM GONNA BEUILD A PC IN THE SUMMER MAYBE ( MY FIRST BUILD) AND ARE KIND OF ON A 1200 USD BUDGET

i like ati and heard bad things about the 6600 gt that it doenst work good with some games

Amen

realblackstuff said:

Your remark 'I dispise Dual Cores' shows an incredible lack of knowledge, as well as a very high immaturity (and bad spelling to boot).

I second that! Even a non-technical person could see the advantage of having multiple cores/procs.

ATK - do you realize that as you're playing your "single threaded" games that there are several other processes running in the background? Check your task manager sometime and count the processes running when you have NO aps or games loaded.

Go ask a 5 year-old if two is better than one. I bet they answer correctly.

Ok

dgower2 said:
Go ask a 5 year-old if two is better than one. I bet they answer correctly.

I would greatly appreciate if you did not patronize me publicly. I dont disrespect people on the boards, it would be nice if you could return the favor.

realblackstuff said:
In the June 2005 issue of Maximum PC, i read and i quote "Gamers who demand the fastest framerates and users of primarly non muli-threaded apps, should stick with the fastest single core CPUs.

If i have misunderstood this then please direct me to a place where i can get more accurate information
I was simply saying that for the price of Dual Core processors compared to the amount of speed gained while gaming does not equal out. Thank you

Sean

should i start a new ther on my futre build, and duel cores are better atk because some games are gonna come out with technolgy that makes both cors work for the single game if you dudnt alredy know,, i dont think clock speed is everything amagion 2 cores running 2.2ghz its bet then oone running 2.6 isnt it?

AtK SpAdE said:
In the June 2005 issue of Maximum PC, i read and i quote "Gamers who demand the fastest framerates and users of primarly non muli-threaded apps, should stick with the fastest single core CPUs.

If i have misunderstood this then please direct me to a place where i can get more accurate information
I was simply saying that for the price of Dual Core processors compared to the amount of speed gained while gaming does not equal out.

Sean you understood correct as of press time all the games are single threaded applications. When it comes to gaming, dual cores will not perform as high as a very fast single core processor. Intel takes a big hit in regards to that because they had to slow down their clock frequency to incorporate dual core. The athlon X2 fares better since their clock speed is virtually unchanged and i would suggest going with athlon dual cores when it comes to gaming because it is not to far behind the single core cpus.

From what i have heard the gaming industry has started programming for multi core processors apparently the unreal 3 engine takes advantage of it but i dont expect them to be a standard till mid to late next year.

The benefits of dual cores rite now is multitasking to the exterme being able to run two or more very cpu intensive applications at the same time which would cause most single core computers to lock up. You could now play a game while encoding music burning dvds or unraring without seeing a visible performance hit. There are very few programs that take advantage of dual core processors and are programmed multithreaded (i think adobe is) but regular joe consumers will not be aware of that or dont use it.

Dual cores is a really good evolution for processors and in the future this will be standard fare for newer computers since intel is planing to phase out single core cpus in the future and AMD mite have the same plan (not to sure on this since for rite now they will continue producing single core cpus and their road map does not indicate a phase out as aggresive as intel's).

AtK SpAdE said:
I would greatly appreciate if you did not patronize me publicly. I dont disrespect people on the boards, it would be nice if you could return the favor.

I apologize for that. You're right, I shouldn't have said that. Maximum PC is my favorite thing to read by the way. If I had read, or remembered reading that, I would certainly have taken it into consideration also.

Dan

dgower2 said:
I apologize for that.

And i apolgize for my overbearing opinon, i am studying for finals so my mood has not always been the most cheerful lol.

But back to the topice. I have also read, maybe in Maxium PC, i cant quite remeber, that the Intel Ds, can only talk to each other via the FSB, which would seem to be a major drawback compared the the AMDs.

Sean

AtK SpAdE said:
And i apolgize for my overbearing opinon, i am studying for finals so my mood has not always been the most cheerful lol.

But back to the topice. I have also read, maybe in Maxium PC, i cant quite remeber, that the Intel Ds, can only talk to each other via the FSB, which would seem to be a major drawback compared the the AMDs.

Sean
im also studying for finiles i know how it feels, do you guys think rthe prices of duel cores w will come down by augest and if so by how much

Here's something that I don't see: why doesn't Intel or AMD make a dual core for gaming? (e.g. a dual core FX-55) That way, one could have the best of both worlds. I bet that AMD could do this, but why don't they? (Apart from the high cost.)

And yes, the price probably will drop by August, this is inevitable. I'd say that the drop would be about 50-100 USD.

~Toad

well this is what i wanna start out with

Kingston Ram 50 dollors
Dvd Rw 55 dollors
WD 80 gb hdd 60 dollors
ATI REDION X600 100 dollors
and winodws xp pro 180 dollors

adds up to about 500 dollors

pluse a amd x2 and mobo

ne thing im forgetting rthst sohuld be about 100 dollors riete more less??

xp pro $180? That's a bit high. It should be closer $130, IIRC.

You still need a case, psu, and floppy(if needed).

If your x2 is oem, you'll need a heatsink/fan. You also will need case fans.

As of now, it'd cost you about $1030, from my figuring, and a little less in a few months. If you know you're going to build, watch for sales and get good deals on parts(and just let 'em sit somewhere until you build) before you build, you'll save money. That's what I did on my build. I got a 160gb hd for $40, and other stuff pretty cheap.

MutantToad said:
Here's something that I don't see: why doesn't Intel or AMD make a dual core for gaming? (e.g. a dual core FX-55) That way, one could have the best of both worlds. I bet that AMD could do this, but why don't they? (Apart from the high cost.)

And yes, the price probably will drop by August, this is inevitable. I'd say that the drop would be about 50-100 USD.

~Toad

Amd already has a dual core x2 4800+ which is very close to the performance of fx55 in gaming the only drawback is that it is about $1000. The intel extreme edition is geared towards gaming but it still lacks the performance that intel always has lacked when it comes to gaming.

As far as dual core for gaming this was addressed earlier in the post (actually mine) but i will talk about this again and save you the trouble of going to page one of this two page post.

Games are traditionally coded as single threaded apps and till they start coding for multi core processors we will not see a significant jump in performance. Future games are being written multi threaded but their performance will not be so much graphical as it will be for intelligent AI and real life physics. I am sure later the industry will evolve more and from what i understand the Unreal engine 3 is geared towards dual or multi core processors.

I am sure the price will drop once they come out but i wouldnt count on it happening very soon after launch. Intel will come down a bit but amd if history is any indication usually can not mass produce chips like intel can and as a result their processors are hard to come by or are "paper launches" for the first month or two before they start trickling into the retail channel. So dont count on a very big price depreciation on amd chips and intel extreme edition dual core chips. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back