AMD's 64-bit Processors for Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
AMD yesterday released its new Mobile Athlon 64 processors designed specifically for notebook systems that work on battery power. The new products compliment existing line of AMD64 CPUs for desktop replacement portable computers unveiled in September 2003.

64-bit microprocessors for notebooks from AMD are available in three flavors depending on performance level in general and clock-speed in particular; these are models 2800+, 3000+ and 3200+ functioning at 1.60GHz, 1.80GHz and 2.0GHz respectively. The CPUs have 1MB of full-speed on-die L2 cache and single-channel DDR SDRAM memory controller, like the majority of other AMD Athlon 64 processors in 754-pin packaging.

Read more: xbit labs.

AMD is setting their sites high, aiming to control the server, desktop and mobile sectors of the market simultaneously. Fortunately for them, they have a great product to do it with.

I'm liking the fact that AMD's Athlon 64 is such a great sucess for them, but I sure hope that they don't get too arrogant... beliving Intel won't have some kind of competitor in the near future is suicide.

I'm sure AMD is already hard at work for their next line of processors though.

Personally i don't think they'll reach Intel anytime soon, at least not as long as there are so few 64bit software out there

Don't get me wrong, because Intel is way ahead of AMD as far as sheer size and power is concerned. However, I do believe AMD is putting up a good fight against its biggest (and pretty much only "real" competitor).

I must agree when you say that it's the only real competitor, since VIA and the rest don't seem to ever catch up... they don't care i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back