AMD's Vega 64 burns past the GTX 1080 Ti in Forza 7 DX12 benchmarks

midian182

Staff member

There was a lot of excitement in the run-up to AMD’s Vega launch, but the cards haven't exactly set the GPU market on fire — the RX Vega 64 generally offering performance comparable to Nvidia’s GTX 1080, which was released last May. So, it comes as a surprise to learn that AMD's flagship outperforms the GTX 1080 Ti by 23 percent when running Forza 7 in DirectX 12.

Our own tests show the RX Vega 64 to be 18 percent slower on average at 1440p when compared to an Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11G, but German site CompterBase.de’s tests produce a radically different outcome in DX12.

Using a Core i7 6850K overclocked to 4.3GHz and 16GB of DDR4 memory running at 3000MHz in quad-channel mode, the site tested the DirectX 12-ready Forza 7 – released on October 3 ­– using the Crimson ReLive 17.9.3 and GeForce 385.69 drivers, which are optimized for the racing game. Graphical options were maxed out, and 8X multisample anti-aliasing (MSAA) was enabled for the three tests, which each used a different resolution.

In standard HD (1920 x 1080), not only was the RX Vega 64 ahead of Nvidia’s 10-series flagship by 23 percent more frames per second, but the RX Vega 56 also had it beat by 18 percent more fps. Things were even more surprising in the smoothness-focused 99th percentile frametime analysis, which showed AMD’s RX 580 and R9 Fury X also ahead of the 1080 Ti.

Nvidia’s card improved as the resolution increased. At 2560 x 1440, it jumped ahead of the RX Vega 56 (which was still ahead of the GTX 1080) but still lagged behind the RX Vega 64 by 12 percent.

Going up to 4K (3840 x 2160) finally saw the green team’s GPU take the top spot, but not by the huge margin one might expect. It leads the RX Vega 64 by just seven fps, and remains behind both Vega cards when it comes to 99th percentile frametime analysis.

Nvidia said the results were unexpected but did confirm the accuracy of the tests. “The ranking in Forza 7 is very unusual. Nvidia has confirmed [to] ComputerBase, however, that the results are so correct, so there is no problem with the system in the editorial regarding GeForce.”

It’ll be interesting to see if Vega can replicate these results in other upcoming DirectX 12 games, or if Forza 7 will be a one-off. All in all, it looks like good news for AMD.

Permalink to story.

If other new games are this optimized for the paralell compute AMD arhitecture, it would be a boomer! Mostly I like that old generation Radeon cards aren t dead as soon as the new gen arive yearly, unlike nvidia that puts them into legacy mode.

If other new games are this optimized for the paralell compute AMD arhitecture, it would be a boomer! Mostly I like that old generation Radeon cards aren t dead as soon as the new gen arive yearly, unlike nvidia that puts them into legacy mode.

Well said!

LOL. If what you said were true, GTX 970 users wouldn't still be getting updates, nor would the 780Ti still perform on par with the GTX 970.
btw, You're confusing Legacy hardware with Legacy support, so stop making stuff up about last gen NVIDIA cards being ignored. It's a myth started by people that couldn't read.

Moving onto something that actually is a thing, I'd like to see AMD's driver team not need months to get proper drivers out. The whole buying AMD today, for tomorrow is getting really old now.

Lol, an AMD card beats Nvidia in one game and it generates its own headline and story? Must be a rare occurence!

Lol, an AMD card beats Nvidia in one game and it generates its own headline and story? Must be a rare occurence!

When the AMD card is £200 cheaper and is performing much better, then yes it is a rare occurrence**!!

(1070 Owner)

I think the development of Xbox Scorpio (One X) with AMD could also have some contribution in this (better optimization for AMD h/w that would have reflected across their desktop GPUs). The console runs this game at 4K 60fps. (though won't be as pretty as the PC version but still).

4K is really what matters for 1080ti though. I mean the 1080p tests for those high end video cards are besides the point.

When you can max a game, run 8x MSAA in 4K AND still get pretty much 60FPS on a stock GTX1070 which is hitting the limit of most displays than it hardly matters if the gap is big or small between even faster AMD and Nvidia cards.

4K is really what matters for 1080ti though. I mean the 1080p tests for those high end video cards are besides the point.

When you can max a game, run 8x MSAA in 4K AND still get pretty much 60FPS on a stock GTX1070 which is hitting the limit of most displays than it hardly matters if the gap is big or small between even faster AMD and Nvidia cards.

What about those who are using tri-monitor set up with 1080p/1440p which a lot of people do who play race sims?

What about those who are using tri-monitor set up with 1080p/1440p which a lot of people do who play race sims?

What about them? I would hardly say there is a lot. The 1080ti closes the gap and overtakes the AMD cards the higher the resolution it seems.

It's doing 90FPS at 4K and even manages fine at 8K from the tests I have seen with a bit less MSAA. How much more resolution do you want from a single card? Lol

AMD don't change the architecture many years so all optimization always are backward compatible. That gave rise the fable that AMD support the past gen.

I think the development of Xbox Scorpio (One X) with AMD could also have some contribution in this (better optimization for AMD h/w that would have reflected across their desktop GPUs). The console runs this game at 4K 60fps. (though won't be as pretty as the PC version but still).

Exactly, this is what happens when Microsoft puts some time developing a game to be optimized at 4K with hardware that just isn't powerful enough. I'm actually surprised it runs as well as it does on Nvidia hardware, but then again, Nvidia actually does drivers well, and when you need them.

It's a good thing that this is news... nVidia cards are praised too much and people are too glad to trash AMD, not realizing that if AMD leaves the GPU division behind, you'll be overpaying much more towards nVidia than you are already... Any positive light for AMD is a positive light for the future of gaming...

The frametimes & 99th percentile suck on nVidia cards, because, well, let's face it, nVidia cards are primarily DX11 cards with DX12 features slapped on top, some of them in software. AMD has been pushing the likes of DX12, not only because it can be a more efficient way of using hardware, but because their own hardware facilitates it more than the competition. nVidia is deliberately hampering progress and everyone with half a brain can see this. It happened many times, the most notable one being with DX10 (DX10.1 was great but was ignored because of nVidia cards not supporting it), and is now happening with DX12 again. Not because they're 'evil' or whatever, they're a business after all, but they are looking at their own interest, not the ones of the gamers anymore, since they're in their pockets already.

If DX12 really gets off, nVidia's mind share and popularity is done for, and they know it. Even though they can at least do DX12 this time (unlike DX10.1 at the time), they suffer much CPU overhead under DX12. Basically they will be put in the position that AMD always had under DX11; the cards underperform overwhelmingly because of CPU driver overhead. And nVidia knows that if the DX12 switch flips to the other side, they will be at a huge disadvantage they don't know how to recover from.
What to do? Stretch DX11 as much as possible to mitigate the situation and gain time to implement the features. Example? Quantum Break, where AMD worked fine, but nVidia performed like crap, so, everyone thought the game performed like crap because of nVidia's mind share, and nVidia got their wish where the game was released with DX11 on Steam. No significant difference for AMD, HUGE performance boost for nVidia...
Or, another one option is to hijack the DX12 programming and make sure it's developed just like a DX11 game (Gears of War 4 I'm looking at you, and you too ROTTR). And it's easy for them really, considering the amount of mindless sheep that flock to them and the resources they have.

AMD is fighting a losing battle and it is in the best interest of everyone that they do not lose it in the end. Not saying AMD cards are always better. But the disadvantage AMD has is in no way fair. It's disproportionate when comparing the products and what is in the minds of the average gamer. AMD generally comes up with ingenious and superior solutions. Look at HairWorks vs TressFX. Look at G-Sync vs FreeSync. Hell compare their options in NGE vs Crimson... AMD is underappreciated, and as long as we keep doing that, we will ultimately pay the price, literally and figuratively.

The main reason AMD supports older cards is because they recycled the same GCN architecture for 3 GPU cycles. The HD7000, R200s and R300s are all the same architechture.

Not too surprising at all really, this is a combination of the game being made for AMD hardware (Xbone) and it being ported well, ported with a low-level API which we know GCN does better in, and especially when you throw in async compute which allows GCN to show its full potential and something that Pascal can barely keep up in.

Now if only all games were like this.

Yeah who would have guessed that a 13.1TFLOP card with a 2048-bit bus could beat a card utilizing legacy GDDR on a 2015 architecture?!

These results should surprise no one, and in fact everyone who is surprised now better buckle up for the 2018 benchmarks...

Oh c'mon.....let us see more benchmarks before jumping into conclusions.

There are games that run better in one or the other card.

"If DX12 really gets off, nVidia's mind share and popularity is done for, and they know it."

Do they?

First of all, there are only about two dozen games using DX12, and hardly any new ones in the works. That compares to over one hundred DX11 titles, and the list is still growing. And in the many reviews I've read, DX12 is hardly a slam dunk for AMD anyway. The two companies are usually split down the middle- half the time Nvidia leads, half the time it's AMD. DX12 isn't going to be widespread in the gaming world for at least two more years. I certainly wouldn't base a purchase on it today.

Secondly, why do AMD fans seem to think AMD has a lock on low-level API? If and when DX12/Vulkan become more than a blip on the radar, and there's money to be made or lost, you can BET that Nvidia will be all over it. Do you really think that with all their talent and gigantic budget, they won't nail it?

Trust me, Nvidia is a major-league company and they're not going anywhere. Money talks.

This happened with Dirt 4 as well, which was all the more perplexing because it runs on DX11. Whatever's going on, it may not even have to do with the API.

It's literally just been one game. Once 3-5 more games come out being like this, then it'll get interesting.

Back