Amnesty for music file swappers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Is the RIAA correcting itself or just playing old PR tricks? What we know is that they are not offering the way out to those already involved in legal trouble... you be the judge:

The recording industry is expected to announce as early as next week an amnesty program for people who admit they illegally share music files across the Internet, promising not to sue them in exchange for their admission and pledge to delete the songs off their computers.

Sounds like a trick. Rather that the RIAA having to find the names of transgressors, they simply monitor those that have given themselves up, and nail them if they detect any future violations. They also get real numbers for how much file swapping actually goes on. I don't file swap at all because of the poor quality of mp3s, but I still wouldn't trust the RIAA.

This is total nonsense.

If you recall my reported story, here, you will see that its estimated that it would take the RIAA over 2000 years to nail every P2P mp3 swapper on the planet.

This move smacks of desperation and futility. There's no way that the RIAA is going to hunt every last P2P swapper of copyrighted material down, they are just hoping to use scare tactics to frighten people who don't know any better.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
This is total nonsense.

If you recall my reported story, here, you will see that its estimated that it would take the RIAA over 2000 years to nail every P2P mp3 swapper on the planet.

This move smacks of desperation and futility. There's no way that the RIAA is going to hunt every last P2P swapper of copyrighted material down, they are just hoping to use scare tactics to frighten people who don't know any better.

They will take down a good number of people to get the scare going but just remember... it could be you.

Yeah, and it could be me who wins the national lottery this week as well. I've probably more chance of that, than the RIAA coming knocking at my door. So don't be afraid.

But that doesn't change the fact that they are knocking at SOME people's doors, and that its bloody ludicrous that they are.

I think history will remember these people are somewhat like luddites.

The RIAA want to spread fear because they know that the fewer people who use P2P, the less attractive P2P will become, since the amount of available data will go down.

They are hoping to use scare tactics, because they have realised that the legal course isn't working any more. We already did the maths as to why.

What to do if you want P2P not to die because of the RIAA is to refuse to be intimidated. Keep using P2P tools like Kazaa, and keep downloading from IRC channels. Get better at downloading media from the net and try to share what you have downloaded from your HDD as much as possible.

Try to use KazaaLite ( http://www.kazaalitekpp.com/ ) as much as possible, since it contains hacks which make it harder for the RIAA to track you. Download a firewall program like Zone Alarm ( http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp ) as well, and keep up to date with anti-virus updates. Learn how to use IRC to download movies, mp3s and .iso images, etc.

----
Techspot does not condone the illegal swapping of copyrighted material, even if it is cool.

You have to remember that "THE RIAA DOES NOT REPRESENT ALL COPYRIGHT HOLDERS" and "THE RIAA HAS NO AUTHORITY TO PROTECT YOU FROM CRIMINAL CHARGES" (quotes takin from www.boycott-riaa.com)

So if you put your name forward for amnesty you WILL be sued but not by them.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Try to use KazaaLite ( http://www.kazaalitekpp.com/ ) as much as possible, since it contains hacks which make it harder for the RIAA to track you. Download a firewall program like Zone Alarm ( http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp ) as well, and keep up to date with anti-virus updates. Learn how to use IRC to download movies, mp3s and .iso images, etc.

----
Techspot does not condone the illegal swapping of copyrighted material, even if it is cool.

Werd. Been using K-L for like ever... I love it. Got everything I need for security... etc.

K++ is a greater program. The program is gettin better and better, but not the files though, you know what i mean.

Don't be scared of the RIAA people, defy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back