An incredible amount of crashes. Tried everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meremaiden

Hi all,
I have tried everything listed in the "before you post" and to no avail.
Besides numerous blue screen errors, I have been having the following problems.

Here are the problems I've been having
1.) The computer turns itself off when under heavy load, usually while gaming or watching videos
2.) Occasionally the monitor will just lose signal.
3.) Lately windows takes a good 5-10 minutes to load.
4.) I have reinstalled windows, but the problems keep occuring.
5.) I will also get errors that say "A high-speed USB device has been plugged into an non-high speed USB hub" when i have no usbs plugged in.
6.) I've had hard disk errors recently that resulted in a 2 hour long chkdsk which replaced security codes. (Hence the reinstallation of windows)
7.) There is a slight beep occasionally when loading and it sounds like the hard disk is skipping.
8.) The computer loads intermittently, occasionally it will ask me to insert the boot disk, and need a hard reset.
9.) the latest directX wont install. the graphics card is two months old.
10.) the computer recognizes two generic drives that I dont have. I have a generic Hardrive and two 80 GB SATA Raids.

I have been through 2 power supplies and 3 graphics cards in the past two years. This just doesnt seem right and I need someone to get deep into the problem. I have attached 3 compressed folders of the latest minidumps. I have several more but they are a bit older (perhaps when each power supply died) if you need me to include them please let me know and I'll attach the rest (all are quite large.) They go in reverse chronological order, meaning the first is the newest and the last is the oldest.
Thanks SO much for any help you can provide.

Welcome to our forum, some nice people here, im sure you will like it.
First off, good post, but you want to edit your post and state all you can about your system, make and model of motherboard, same with power supply, cpu, vid card, etc.

Right off the bat, since you have lost these ps's and vid cards, you may have unstable power at the source (the wall plug). If you dont have a UPS i would suggest you install one asap. You dont have to get the most expensive unit out there, all you need is to make sure there is a connection for cable and phone on the UPS. Therefore you can get them for as low as $50 at your local store, even try walmart as well for a good price. UPS = uninterruptible power supply. Every pc should be connected to a UPS anyway. I could go on and on about this but i wont, lol.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I do have a UPS (they call them UP conditioners out here), and have been using one for quite some time. I'll re-edit the post and put all my computer info in.
Cheers,
Meredith

Thanks for the info on the other name, seems i have heard that before but forgot, lol.

With incoming power taken care of, i would then suspect the power supply but you have replaced 2 of them. Can i ask the make and model of these 2 power supplies? Its possible for 2 poor quality ps's going bad on you, even 3, not all that likely though.

So that leads up to the mobo as possibly being the culprit, in my mind, since you have also tried ram and all the other items as you mentioned.

The only other possibility would be your hard drive and possibly a bad bios. I dont know if i have ever heard of a bad bios causing these problems though, so its just a stab in the dark on that one. I just get that idea from the odd issues you have mentioned. You could install a newer bios for your mobo if there is one, might help.

The only way to properly test your hard drive would be for you to run the "zero write" program on it, but that would involve re-installing windows.

But perhaps a simple repair of the mbr would help fix the hard drive it that were the problem.

Nice case you got there!

Are you running in raid configuration?

You said you have done everything in that list?

What is make and model of your current power supply (ps)?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

6 minidumps crash at smwdm.sys. This is your onboard sound driver. They have a bugcheck of D1.

2 minidumps crash with an unknown image and a bugcheck of D1.

1 minidump crashes with memory corruption and a bugcheck of 77.

1 minidump crashes at csrss.exe. This is the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem and is a critical Windows file. It has a bugcheck of F4.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

0x00000077: KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

A page of kernel data requested from the pagefile could not be found or read into memory. This message also can indicate disk hardware failure, disk data corruption, or possible virus infection.

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive.

Your problem may be caused by a driver issue, or maybe a pagefile issue. If it tuns out to be neither of those, then a hardware issue with the ram/psu are most likely the culprits.

First, check for any updated sound drivers.

If that doesn`t help. Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howard,
Thanks for your reply. I'm having a hard time finding drivers for my soundcard. It is an onboard sound chip. Any idea where I can find it? I have tried searching for soundmax drivers, and the Intel chip drivers.
Here's all of my system info according to Everest.

The past two times I have tried turning on my computer, the computer loads but no signal is sent to the monitor. I assumed this was a graphics card issue, but the card is two months old.
My original psu was a Thermaltake 420W (or 400+ not sure)
My current is 400W, unsure of the brand.
Thanks VERY much!

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.08.01.0810 (DirectX 8.1)
Computer Name MEREMAIDEN
User Name Meredith

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz (13 x 200)
Motherboard Name Asus P4P800 Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 WiFi, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (08/15/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port BT Port (COM10)
Communication Port BT Port (COM11)
Communication Port BT Port (COM12)
Communication Port BT Port (COM13)
Communication Port BT Port (COM14)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port BT Port (COM20)
Communication Port BT Port (COM21)
Communication Port BT Port (COM6)
Communication Port BT Port (COM7)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
Monitor Hitachi CML174SX [17" LCD] (H3D009871)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Storage
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
SCSI/RAID Controller Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller RAID Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST340014A (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Disk Drive Raid 0 Volume (149 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive OEI-USB2 CompactFlash USB Device
Disk Drive OEI-USB2 SM/MS/SD USB Device
Optical Drive LITE-ON LTR-52327S (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D (DVD+RW:4x/2.4x, DVD-RW:4x/2x, DVD-ROM:12x, CD:16x/10x/32x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 38154 MB (12334 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 152632 MB (76634 MB free)
Total Size 186.3 GB (86.9 GB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network
Network Adapter 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940) (192.168.1.2)

Peripherals
Printer Brother MFC-215C USB Printer
Printer Brother PC-FAX v.2
Printer PaperPort Black & White Image
Printer PaperPort Color Image
USB1 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-2/A-3]
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

You will be able to get your sound drivers from your mobo manufacturers website.

Have you followed the instructions in the link I gave you? If so, what were the results?

Regards Howard :)

Hi Howard and Nork,
thanks so much for all of your help. I did try all that was mentioned on the link,(with the exception of memtest which i did a few months back with no reported problems) but as of today the computer will power up and begin to load the bios, however it will not go past the bios screen.

Today I got
"PRIMASTER HARD DISK COMMAND FAILED" and that beeping/skipping noise i have mentioned earlier continues at a greater frequency.
So at this point it seems as if it is the hard disk or RAM? Am I correct in assuming so?

I moved from the US to New Zealand a couple years back and that seems to be when the problems began. The only thing I can attribute it to was not using a UPC for my first year here? Many have said that the power here is not the best, and I am guessing that it damaged the hard disk or RAM, which led to other problems such as the power supplies going and graphics cards. Does this make any sense? My wonderful father and uncle built the computer for me, with the best ingredients (my first power supply was a Thermaltake 500W I believe) and they both are astounded at the amount of problems I have had with the comp.
The problem is, I dont know what to do with it at this point. I have a laptop to use, but do want the computer to be in tip-top condition, but know that if I take it into a store, they will charge 200 for a simple diagnosis, so i'd like to go in and know exactly what the problem is.

Really appreciate all of your help, its lovely of you both to give your time to help others!
Best,
M

I agree, it does sound like a hard drive problem, especially with the message you`re getting. I think it may be a good idea to try another stick of ram, if only to rule it out as a possible cause.

I hope you`re one of those people that has backups of all your important stuff.

Regards Howard :(

To be honest i didnt read any of the minidumps.
But i see by what has been written ("PRIMARy HARD DISK COMMAND FAILED"
that it is fairly obvious, it must be your hard drive.
But, you know, since you mentioned you tested the ram 2 years ago lots can go wrong with a stick of ram over 2 yrs, so i politely suggest you check the ram again, even perhaps in a friends pc. You can download memtest free using google to find it.
In addition, why go to a tech, we can help you with everything you need to do to get it up and running. There are a lot of really good people here who know their stuff! And then even i may be of some help, lol.

Hi there,
Yeah, I have backed up all the important data. The main reason why I want to get it looked at is I dont feel confident enough to replace3 the harddrive or test the mobo/ram, nor do I have mates who would let me dig around in their comp to try their ram. What really concerns me is discovering WHY i have had to go through so many power supplies, and graphics cards in the past two years. The only thing I could think would maybe the mobo has a short (unlikely for ASUS) or that the hardrive was going all along and affected the other two.
Anyway, I have to take it in, and am going to get everything tested, as I dont know how to check the harddrive and replace if necessary, nor can I check the mobo for problems. Another main thing I need tested is that all cords/my card reader/my CD/DVD writer/my raid drives/my cooling system is all fully functional.
Its just that I have spent heaps on it(totalling$1500, NZD)since I moved to NZ and want to sort the problem out already, once and for all, finito.
But thanks for the offer to tlak me through it all, I have plenty of confidence in you all just not enough in myself to not damage my existing (hopefully still in good condition )hardware.

But thank you so much for all your help.

Thanks, the computer seems to be actually loading today, though intermittently.
I am attaching the latest minidump, would any of you mind taking a look?
Taking the machine in tomorrow and would love to know what to tell them to do.
Thanks SO MUCH all of you!

Your latest dump crashes with an unknown image and a bugcheck of D1.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

You should deffinitely test your ram.

Regards Howard :)

Answer to your problem!

U need to fix the frequency on your G-card so it can communicate right with your Motherboard. The "Crashes" is just Timeout in the traffic becouse of the Delay that causes the crashes. I am not so ****ing good at english but when i get home from work I will help the people that got the 6600 Graphic/crash/freeze problems. Have a Nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back